tank valve safety wheel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nimoh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone using the (relatively) new safety wheels I have been hearing so much about?

For those that don't know, it is a tank valve knob that shows red when closed, combinations of red and green when partially opened, and green when fully opened. I can definitely see some value for instructors having these on their student's tanks for a quick visual reference, however, for the seasoned diver I see this as a solution to a non-existant problem.

The only downside to them that I can see is that the knob is bigger. I don't particularly like this, but could easily overlook it if I thought there was some value in the system. The reason I am asking is that it seems everyone on my dive team is getting them, and I am feeling a little pressure to put them on myself, although whenever I think about having them, I keep coming back to the following scenario.

Whether it is green or red, I will still check that my air is on before getting in the water.

Anyone using the (relatively) new safety wheels I have been hearing so much about?

For those that don't know, it is a tank valve knob that shows red when closed, combinations of red and green when partially opened, and green when fully opened. I can definitely see some value for instructors having these on their student's tanks for a quick visual reference, however, for the seasoned diver I see this as a solution to a non-existant problem.

The only downside to them that I can see is that the knob is bigger. I don't particularly like this, but could easily overlook it if I thought there was some value in the system. The reason I am asking is that it seems everyone on my dive team is getting them, and I am feeling a little pressure to put them on myself, although whenever I think about having them, I keep coming back to the following scenario.

Whether it is green or red, I will still check that my air is on before getting in the water.
I have a total of 8 tanks 3 with them and 5 with out. I love them they are simple a quick to confirm that the air is on. I would still do an air check at the gate but where I use them to confirm that the air is on before I go to the trouble of putting my BCD on and then finding that I forgot to crank the valve (i solo dive a lot)

Would I spend the 75.00 to replace the valves on the other 5 tanks just to have this feature? NO would I spend $10.00 to add this feature when I buy my next tank ? yes. AS for the larger handle. I like that it is easier for a cold hand to grab and crank on.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks for the input, just curious if you have had problems turning the crank with cold hands before, or are just pointing out that it is easier now.

Agree - what Herb said. I like the bigger knurls, too.

I have a total of 8 tanks 3 with them and 5 with out. I love them they are simple a quick to confirm that the air is on. I would still do an air check at the gate but where I use them to confirm that the air is on before I go to the trouble of putting my BCD on and then finding that I forgot to crank the valve (i solo dive a lot)

Would I spend the 75.00 to replace the valves on the other 5 tanks just to have this feature? NO would I spend $10.00 to add this feature when I buy my next tank ? yes. AS for the larger handle. I like that it is easier for a cold hand to grab and crank on.

I have had No problems before turning the knob unless some warm person really cranked it down and then I come along after a 65 minute dive in 38 degree water with the attached cold hands then it could be a bummer. The larger knob is just easier. For $16.00 I would / will convert my existing knobs. I just have not taken the time to study it out to make sure that the conversions would fit. Ill probably try one to see how it goes first.

I struggle to see the value?!? You check you breathing gas before you drop and you should be able to reach your valve.

Why not trust what you do and stick to your routines and skills?

I struggle to see the value?!? You check you breathing gas before you drop and you should be able to reach your valve.

Why not trust what you do and stick to your routines and skills?

that is my take on it too, I don't see any value from a safety perspective, since I am going to check my air regardless of red or green (and I can't see it anyway when I am about to get in the water).

I was originally thinking that the larger knob was a downside as well, but it seems that others like the larger knob. I am going to have to take note of how hard it is to turn the knob next time I am out on a cold water dive.

So you solo dive a lot but can not reach your own tank valve? :shakehead:
in the water I can reach just fine and do valve shut down practice when switching to my pony but out of the water it is a stretch and is just easier to remove the BCD

Back
Top Bottom