tank valve question VERY STRANGE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2o Man

Registered
Reaction score
I have an atx200 and i recently bought a pair of oms 121s
When i went to put the yoke on the valve the yoke didn't fit.
Tha valve was to big and didn't let the yoke sit so that i could screw it onto the valve.
So i took a file and filed the inside of the yoke until it fit on the tank valve.
Now it fits fine but why the heck is it like that?
Does anyone else have this setup and what did you do?

H2o Man once bubbled...
i took a file and filed the inside of the yoke until it fit on the tank valve.
You filed the inside of the regulator yoke? How much material did you removed?? You filed off the chrome plating???

What brand of valve is on the tanks?

YES up i had to file the inside walls of the yoke.
It obviously took the damn shiny black paint off that was on there and looks like crap now but now the yoke fits fine.
The valves are the V103 and the V103L.
I don't understand this.
Am i the only one with this problem?

H2o Man once bubbled...
YES up i had to file the inside walls of the yoke.
... man that is like having a loaded gun at the back of your head... of course those yokes are probably over-engineered... but removing metal gives me the creeps when it comes to something that is holding back 3000psi. Hope you didn't have to take off much :D

I am assuming the valves on the tank are din valves with inserts for yoke . those valves are slightly thicker than the cheap k valves that come on rental tanks. but the yoke on the reg should still fit . I am not familiar with your reg but on some regs the depth of the yoke is adjustable .I would be hesitant to use a reg with the yoke grinded on . but why not just use a din valve .instead of replacing the ground yoke get a din fitting for your reg .
joens

The only adjustable that I am familiar with is the later model Conshelf. In order to provide a stronger connection, the yoke is threaded onto the high pressure block. One by product is that the distance between the regulator body and valve is slightly variable by screwing the yoke in/out.

H2O: I see no problem if you only filed 1/16" but don't go beyond. The modern yokes are designed for 4000 psi WP and test at about twice that.

ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS????

I didn't grind off too much just in the middle of the walls of the yoke.

Right were the welding was.

Just a couple of hairs.

I don't know why the heck it was like that.

I guess i'll just switch to din then.

It's an apex reg for god sakes......does oms not like apex or something?

Sorry hit me funny.

Pictured..... sitting there file in hand..... "Dammmit.... I'll make this Sonn of o *****h fit"! God maddit thats funny. No offense really...... just cracks me up.

But seriously.... it sounds a little risky to me. In addition to the removal of the plating (so as not to corrode).

Back
Top Bottom