DIN Tank Valve Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLiebmann

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently converted my Scubapro mk25 from yoke to DIN. A buddy gave me three steel tanks with different valves. Two fit, but the one, Sherwood, doesn’t work. When I screw the regulator all the way in it’s still a little loose and when I turn the tank on it leaks, like the o ring is not seated. I screwed a DIN adapter in at the shop and it goes in far enough to fill but it definitely goes in much further on that valve then other DIN valves on other tanks. Are some valves deeper than others? Is there a fix or do I need to replace the tank valve?

which SP din conversion kit did you use? 10-045-020 is a 200bar din kit (5 threads) whereas 10-045-030 is the 300 bar din kit (7 threads).

the sherwood tank is likely a pst 3500 psi e9791 tank with the skinny 7/8 unf neck that requires a 300 bar din valve/fitting. you will need the SP 300 bar din fitting to use with it.

the sherwood tank is likely a pst 3500 psi e9791 tank with the skinny 7/8 unf neck that requires a 300 bar din valve/fitting. you will need the SP 300 bar din fitting to use with it.
Or just change the valve on the tank.

Or just change the valve on the tank.
If the tank is a 3500psi HP tank, @runsongas is correct and it is a smaller 7/8 neck. 7/8 valves are (almost *) only available in 300 bar DIN.

* Exception proving the rule thing - I have a pair of 200 bar, 7/8 manifolds. They are the only ones I've ever heard of ...

If the tank is a 3500psi HP tank, @runsongas is correct and it is a smaller 7/8 neck. 7/8 valves are (almost *) only available in 300 bar DIN.

* Exception proving the rule thing - I have a pair of 200 bar, 7/8 manifolds. They are the only ones I've ever heard of ...
Exactly.
As seen in the photos below: On left hand side is a DIN valve with a DIN adaptor inserted. In the middle is a DIN valve (200 Bar) and on the left is my original Pressed Steel tank that is 3500 psi rated with a 7/8" neck. If I put a DIN adaptor in there, it would not be flush with the valve face.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5212.JPG
    IMG_5212.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5213.JPG
    IMG_5213.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5214.jpg
    IMG_5214.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 64
Thanks for all the help and replies. The conversion kit is the 300 bar kit and I physically counted the 7 threads to make sure. It also says 300 bar on the knob. Unfortunately I cannot change the valve because this is on an indefinite loan to me. The valve on the tank looks a lot like the 200 bar one in the middle pic above. Is it possible that the 300 bar 1st stage connector wont seat all of the way into a 200 bar tank valve? I will get pics later, I live in a condo and currently the tank is way under in my storage locker and I am at work. I appreciate all of the help.

check the sealing surface of the valve for any damage or possibly an old din oring left in the valve. if you feel any grinding when screwing in the reg, check for thread damage to the valve preventing from screwing in all the way to seal.

The tank valve could have been damaged in some way and is now unusable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom