Apex low profile valve failure, Any one had this before?.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finchy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all
I have a Apex low profile valve on a suit that's failing, I was quite confused for a while as to where the leak was coming from (I knew it was the valve but didn't know how). Found out that the valve was sticking open in dump, and hence letting water in when the back pressure drops.

Took it apart and inspected the valve, though, ok it will be blocked, when I disassemble the valve on a bench it was fine, after a lot of trial and error I have finally found the issue. I filmed the failure and took pics as well.

So it seems, that to get the valve to fit my trilam suit tight, it needs to be screwed down tight, this means the rear cap is threaded further down the shaft of the valve, this seems to deform the valve casing enough for the inner plastic spring plate to get stuck in the down "pressure" or "flex" part of the action or, dumping. When it sticks it stays stuck like this and, it leaks.

Anyone got any ideas, or seem this before. I have never had this issue before and would love a fix. I though about filing down the plastic pressure plate, but I worry then it wouldn't be water tight.

Attachments

• IMG_20230127_144129_6.jpg
    IMG_20230127_144129_6.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 75
This is a known issue for some years. The accepted solution is to dive with it a few clicks back from being fully open. Works fine for me.

Can't post the video unfortunately, but in the pic above you can see the plastic spring plate stuck in the down or dump position, it stays that way untill I release the valve back plate (nut), or I put a dentist tool behind the plate and pull it forward, then the pressure is released. If I unscrew the threaded valve backing plate, or nut (the section from inside the suit that holds the valve in place), then this doesn't happen...but then the valve leaks from between the suit and valve as it's to lose.

I would just replace the valve and try the new one, but I live in Gran Canaria, supply is an issue here.

The low profiles valves will leak water with a squeezed suit or with movement on a perfectly equalized suit. They should seal with any positive pressure.
That is why they still make the high profile valve, people that dive with minimal air in their suit still prefer them.

I haven't ever tried to modify one, I always just order with or swap to the high profile style.

This is a known issue for some years. The accepted solution is to dive with it a few clicks back from being fully open. Works fine for me.
Thanks for the reply guys, but maybe I haven't explained myself well.

If the dump valve gets pressed then it sticks and won't release, so it's constantly open and leaking.
isn't the normal failure you are talking about leaking on the fully open setting, not this sticking open when the manual override gets knocked or touched because the pressure stays on.

That plastic blue part should flex and return to normal closed setting, but in mine as you can see, it's stuck down and there for open and dumping constantly.

Thanks for the reply guys, but maybe I haven't explained myself well.

If the dump valve gets pressed then it sticks and won't release, so it's constantly open and leaking.
isn't the normal failure you are talking about leaking on the fully open setting, not this sticking open when the manual override gets knocked or touched because the pressure stays on.

That plastic blue part should flex and return to normal closed setting, but in mine as you can see, it's stuck down and there for open and dumping constantly.
Yeah, I hadn’t gotten that from your post.

The low profiles valves will leak water with a squeezed suit or with movement on a perfectly equalized suit. They should seal with any positive pressure.
That is why they still make the high profile valve, people that dive with minimal air in their suit still prefer them.

I haven't ever tried to modify one, I always just order with or swap to the high profile style.
Strange. I had one on old suit and have one now and have no problems. I do dive with valve backed off few clicks to prevent accidental venting. Maybe that does the trick?

Strange. I had one on old suit and have one now and have no problems. I do dive with valve backed off few clicks to prevent accidental venting. Maybe that does the trick?
Hi admikar

No even if it's backed off, open, closed it still locks into open and manual dumping when it gets pressed or knocked. So when in the water if it gets pressed or touched, that's it, it's jammed open all the time.
Maybe it's a unique failure on this one, I have emailed Apex, let's see.

Guess in the mean time I will ha e to buy another and weight weeks and weeks for it to arrive on te island.

Yes, if you tighten the spring it helps, but it also doesn't dump as quickly or easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom