Leaky p-valve or…?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PEDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I got a Dive Rite balanced p-valve installed on my drysuit this year since I was already getting new boots to replace the neoprene socks. I’m generally doing <2 hour dives so bladder management has never been an issue but I thought what the hell. I recently started diving SM and don my tanks in the water (vs. diving BM doubles previously) and have noticed that my p-valve will begin to leak as soon as I get into the water before adding air into my suit. This is really annoying and I usually end the dive with a damp leg and sock. This never happened when I was diving BM since I would usually inflate my suit before hitting the water. Has this happened to anyone else? I’m concerned that I might have an actual leak, but I have also been told it may be because of the negative pressure on the p-valve in the water drawing water into it before inflating the suit. At this point I almost want to get the p-valve removed since I’ve never used it once since getting it installed…

I would try closing the valve until you get in the water, inflate the suit in the water and then open the p-valve. (Assuming you can, the light monkey p-valve is really easy to open and close, just make sure not to forget to open it...)

Also checking for leaks inflating your suit with bottles/gallon jug sealing neck and wrists while going around with a spray bottle of soapy water will let you know if it is or isn't a leak from faulty installation...

What about a smaller sock
I believe "better fitting" would be the more politically correct question? :giggle:
In all seriousness though, tighter is better and the adhesives make a difference... The really aggressive Wideband option is particularly secure, but there's so much personal preference involved (plus need to consider mellow short dive vs long strenuous dive, day of diving vs week of diving, etc)

I got a Dive Rite balanced p-valve installed on my drysuit this year since I was already getting new boots to replace the neoprene socks. I’m generally doing <2 hour dives so bladder management has never been an issue but I thought what the hell. I recently started diving SM and don my tanks in the water (vs. diving BM doubles previously) and have noticed that my p-valve will begin to leak as soon as I get into the water before adding air into my suit. This is really annoying and I usually end the dive with a damp leg and sock. This never happened when I was diving BM since I would usually inflate my suit before hitting the water. Has this happened to anyone else? I’m concerned that I might have an actual leak, but I have also been told it may be because of the negative pressure on the p-valve in the water drawing water into it before inflating the suit. At this point I almost want to get the p-valve removed since I’ve never used it once since getting it installed…
Just to be clear, you are diving with the p-valve disconnected from you and it leaks water, right?
If that's the case, the valve inside the p-valve probably needs to be replaced. The Dive Rite unit cannot be closed by turning the cap like on some other p-valves.

If you really aren't going to use the p-valve might be best to remove it or replace it with something like the unbalanced Light Monkey p-valve where the closed bolt eliminates any chance of a leak, not sure if the mounting holes are the same size or not.

Appreciate everyone’s feedback. Since the Dive Rite p-valve can’t be open/closed like other models, I decided to buy a couple rubber washers and place them over the one-way valve under the delrin cap. Tested it in a pool and the washers seem to keep the valve closed and it did not leak at all. Going to keep this as a temporary fix until I decide if I want to swap it out or remove it entirely.

Appreciate everyone’s feedback. Since the Dive Rite p-valve can’t be open/closed like other models, I decided to buy a couple rubber washers and place them over the one-way valve under the delrin cap. Tested it in a pool and the washers seem to keep the valve closed and it did not leak at all. Going to keep this as a temporary fix until I decide if I want to swap it out or remove it entirely.
I also have the leaky diverite low profile balanced pee valve. Yes the valve leaks a little pee and sometimes water, but only when I let the suit squeeze me a bit. In a light weight undergarment it leaks less since there is less air space in the suit to equalize. In cold water with heavy underwear I have to be careful as the inside pressure is easily less the the outside water pressure. Also, if I am standing thigh deep it will leak pee into the suit as the internal pressure is less. I like the low profile, but would have preferred the LM design. Unfortunately,when DUI made the suit they installed the POS OMS pee valve so my only replacement option was to goto a pee valve with a large diameter. All the balanced ones leak a little if they get debris or such. The best I have had was the T type which was on a USIA suit years ago.

I also have the leaky diverite low profile balanced pee valve. Yes the valve leaks a little pee and sometimes water, but only when I let the suit squeeze me a bit. In a light weight undergarment it leaks less since there is less air space in the suit to equalize. In cold water with heavy underwear I have to be careful as the inside pressure is easily less the the outside water pressure. Also, if I am standing thigh deep it will leak pee into the suit as the internal pressure is less. I like the low profile, but would have preferred the LM design. Unfortunately,when DUI made the suit they installed the POS OMS pee valve so my only replacement option was to goto a pee valve with a large diameter. All the balanced ones leak a little if they get debris or such. The best I have had was the T type which was on a USIA suit years ago.
Are you talking about leaking from hose that is not connected to your junk? Or the valve itself?
If it's the first, put one way valve QD on hose. If it's the second, take the valve apart and check duckbill valve. Balance systems can be thrown off if you overpressurise it during rinsing.

What about a smaller sock
8d7419df11eecc94e0d9e3110880d8b9.jpg

Are you talking about leaking from hose that is not connected to your junk? Or the valve itself?
If it's the first, put one way valve QD on hose. If it's the second, take the valve apart and check duckbill valve. Balance systems can be thrown off if you overpressurise it during rinsing.
Thank you for the comment. Respectfully, not all pee valves have duck bills. The Diverite low profile one and their regular (older) version have two mushroom valves. One outer and one inner. The earlier version of their new low pro pee valve had some leakage into the suit and they redesigned it to include a dam feature that mitigates that event somewhat. I do think that pressure differential can overcome that feature or the duckbill valve in any pee valve. As to installing a one way check valve QD inline, the one way QD is no longer a check valve once connected. It only seals upon disconnect. A true inline check valve could be used, but you would need to ensure the hose is filled from your junk to the check valve before diving (descending) or a squeeze could result.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom