Apex low profile valve failure, Any one had this before?.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So update...

The issue as a recap, was the plastic spring plate, that normally flexes when you manually press the value to dump, and then returns. My ones problem is staying stuck open and allowing water to leak. It was doing this as (see photo) the area would tighten and deform as the value was screwed on the back tight into the suit. I know that low profile valves have issues but this is one I have never heard of, so maybe useful to someone on the future.

I did some more tests and decided to remove some material from the diameter of the inner valve plastic spring plate seat with a file, see the pic. This now means that I can tighten the back of the valve as hard as needed in the suit, without the press to vent sticking wide open and not returning as it should. I will dive it and see if it leaks (I may have now removed material that allows water to move under the plastic spring plate).

I did message apex and they told me to speak to one of their network of service centres, they do have apex centres on Gran Canaria apparently, but if I took the valve there they would most likely ask me what a dry suit was haha, so probably not much help.

Thanks for the replies guys, seems to be an unusual issue, hope others aren't having similar issues. This value used to be on my neoprene drysuit so never needed to be screwed down into the suit as hard as it does now in my trilam, that's why I never noticed the issue before.

Attachments

• IMG_20230128_222528_9.jpg
    IMG_20230128_222528_9.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 55
The low profile Apeks exhaust valves seem to be somewhat random whether they leak or not. I had a leaky one on a new dry suit and eventually replaced it with an SiTech valve. Dry ever since. Never had an issue with SiTech exhaust valves.

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom