Tank to tank fill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigRed96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All, I recently was certified to do tank visual inspections. I have quite a few tanks and economically it made sense. My question is that I don’t want to leave my tanks empty to long after an inspection and getting them filled right away isn’t always an option. My idea is to use what I believe to be called a whip and add air from a full tank to a empty tank. Has it does anyone currently do this?

I do it often while Sidemount diving. During a surface interval I will use one tank and trans fill my two Sidemount tanks then do another dive.

Exactly how you think. It's super simple. Connect both tanks, open both valves. Get a whip with a gauge, open empty tank all the way, open full tank just a little. Watch the gauge. When you hit 2-300 psi stop.

Done.

I (and many, many divers before me for many moons before me) have done this at home, in the van, on the shore, at the quarry, and on a boat.

I'm cheap, so I use a variation on the @couv method ( Tank Equalizer for $2.50 )
I just use a spare air fil adapter I had laying around instead of a 2nd first stage.

Respectfully

James

Wow nicely done! I like your way much better than my way. A while back I was trying to make a cheap one so I bought two of these 7/16" to 1/4" NPT OmniSwivel Adapter: 1/4-Inch NPT Male = 7/16-Inch F and took a 1/4" male to male NPT hydraulic hose from work and connect two reg together like this. Cost me $30 obviously your way is a little more clever than my way.

Wow nicely done! I like your way much better than my way. A while back I was trying to make a cheap one so I bought two of these 7/16" to 1/4" NPT OmniSwivel Adapter: 1/4-Inch NPT Male = 7/16-Inch F and took a 1/4" male to male NPT hydraulic hose from work and connect two reg together like this. Cost me $30 obviously your way is a little more clever than my way.
I can't claim credit.... I only stand on the shoulders of giants! Couv is the real mastermind of the idea.

Last time I looked piranha had a nice whip available for less than $90, I fill my pony’s from my HP tanks all the time.

I'm cheap, so I use a variation on the @couv method ( Tank Equalizer for $2.50 )
I just use a spare air fil adapter I had laying around instead of a 2nd first stage.

Respectfully

James

This method is cool, however the only place I can see it being viable is at the house or in the back of a vehicle. I like that my whip stays in my bag, easy to use. Bleeder built in...no issues on a boat, and I bought mine used for $70 shipped from a SB member. Rocking on a boat and removing spg's from 2 different regulators....I would for sure envy the guy standing next to me having a whip (I would most likely ask to borrow it!).

I like @couv thinking outside the box....definitely would work in a pinch. I guess it just depends on the end goal.

I've mixed nitrox like this. Servicing regs and needing to use cylinders for supply pressure, I have two whips and do it all the time. Surprising the VIP class did not cover this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom