Tank Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Lorenzoid - This was inherited from my in-laws place (they kept lawn furniture cushions in it). It is older, and really solid. I'll see what I can find in terms of brand or model...

A friend and I built this tank rack for storage in Florida. It has been working very well for our needs.

I don't have any specific plans (we sort of winged it) but hopefully this gives you or anyone else an idea.

1660240268931.png
Nice system. I recommend setting the shelves at about a 10° back angle when used in earthquake zones and at least 20° AND individual lanyards or hinged locks when used shipboard.

We had a beautifully made stainless steel locker with doors similar to this on a new DSV (Diving Support Vessel) I worked on. The first time the doors were opened at sea caused all the bottles to slide out about 1/4 their length. Fortunately the poor diver that almost got buried in the steel avalanche was able to close both doors as the ship rolled back to starboard and the bottles slid back.

It ended up taking about 6 people to use it until the seas calmed down and a welder added some padeyes we could attach individual lanyards to for each bottle.

So in the last 2 weeks I went from 3 tanks (2 al 80s, 1 pony) to 8 tanks, 9 if you include my lp 72 that was refused hydro because of potential pitting under the coating. I've added 2 steel 80s, 2 steel 100s and 1 steel 120. Now I'm thinking about my annual expenses and wondering if VIP cert would be worth it. I briefly looked up info on it but couldn't find any cost.

So in the last 2 weeks I went from 3 tanks (2 al 80s, 1 pony) to 8 tanks, 9 if you include my lp 72 that was refused hydro because of potential pitting under the coating. I've added 2 steel 80s, 2 steel 100s and 1 steel 120. Now I'm thinking about my annual expenses and wondering if VIP cert would be worth it. I briefly looked up info on it but couldn't find any cost.
They can multiply fast sometimes. I built a couple little carts. Just a 2x6 bottom and a frame of 2x2’s with cart wheels. Each holds 4 tanks and can be rolled out and rolled back against the wall. It only holds the 72’s, the bigger tanks just stand up and hopefully out of the way for now. The VCI should be ~300. I’ve renewed my cert twice now and just ordered more stickers yesterday. I love knowing exactly the state of my tanks and not having to take them anywhere to be done.

I was thinking about making a custom made shelf system for an unused alcove in my boiler room out of oak plywood to hold tanks and plastic storage boxes of dive gear. The Boiler room is well ventilated, but does get hot in the Summer time. Is this a bad idea ?

is it OK to store tanks outside in the Winter or Summer like that ?
Probably not best for the plastic/rubber parts, but I bought steel 72’s off CL that had sat on the ground outside for a couple years and outside of a couple valves really being stuck on (a little surface rust by valve) they were perfect once cleaned up. So well maintained outside is probably fine. I’d keep them inside in temp controlled if I could, but that’s me.

I have 8 total … 4 HP100s, 2 AL80s, 2 AL40s. I line them up along the wall on my side of the garage. I can very easily still park my car in that side.

I'm afraid to check how many tanks I own. I believe the number is over 65 at this point. Granted some of those are rebreather bottles and inflation bottles. I should probably do an excel spreadsheet or something.

The sad part is I have friends who own more cylinders.

I'm always hunting for more LP85s and LP108s.

I have tremendously mixed feelings about the VIP cert class. It's not cheap, most of the PSI/PCI course material is scare tactics and how-to info of the "like, duh" variety, and they don't tell you (or at least my LDS didn't tell me) that the class is useless without buying a bunch of testing-related supplies. Buuuut the class does have a good return on investment, especially if you're developing a goodly sized tank farm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom