Tank Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boarderguy

Chief Narctopus Wrangler
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I've searched here and found a few solutions for tank storage, but wanted to see what else is being done for them. I'm now up to 6 and they are taking up valuable garage space. 2 hp 100s, 1 hp 80, 2 al 80s, 1 al 13. For some reason the wife thinks our garage is for her to park in and not all my other crap. Horizontal is fine, maybe even against the wall like a gun rack. I'm 5'11 and in good enough shape I can still lift my tanks overhead without any problems. The issue with high storage would be that I have my 12 yr son load the tanks more often than not (I mean what's the point is having children if you don't strengthen them by doing all the crap you don't want to). I'm open to most ideas on this and am a very capable carpenter..

Thanks

I use this shelf from Sam's club... 2500 lbs per shelf 10000 lbs total and the price was right

Edit: This may be overkill for 6 tanks. I used to have 6 tanks... now I'm over 30 (or thereabout). Trying to thin them out since I went to a RB, but keep thinking "I'll probably need these later" so I've only managed to mark a few as "extras" that I'm willing to part with.

I use this shelf from Sam's club... 2500 lbs per shelf 10000 lbs total and the price was right

Edit: This may be overkill for 6 tanks. I used to have 6 tanks... now I'm over 30 (or thereabout). Trying to thin them out since I went to a RB, but keep thinking "I'll probably need these later" so I've only managed to mark a few as "extras" that I'm willing to part with.
My dad has a few of those from Costco. Fantastic shelf but has a rather large footprint. I hadn't thought about one of those. I could use the "extra" shelf space for my other misc garage crap that doesn't belong in the shed or house.

My dad has a few of those from Costco. Fantastic shelf but has a rather large footprint. I hadn't thought about one of those. I could use the "extra" shelf space for my other misc garage crap that doesn't belong in the shed or house.
I've started putting my tanks on a shelf, and putting our primary dive gear in gear bags on the shelf too (my bag has fins, mask, BPW, wetsuit, boots, gloves... Everything but the tank in one spot ready to go). A bit more work post-dive to clean and put away in that manner, but it stores near and when I want to dive it's easy to grab tanks and the bag for whoever is going.

Respectfully,

James

I also debated about adding heavy duty wheels so it could be carted around within the garage depending on where it was least obtrusive at the time, so that's an option. I found a reasonable permanent spot, so I never followed through with adding them.

I ran out of room in the basement and garage. I started piling them outside in the back yard.
68F6EB2D-F256-42D2-A780-9ABD1F66DA58.jpeg

A friend and I built this tank rack for storage in Florida. It has been working very well for our needs.

I don't have any specific plans (we sort of winged it) but hopefully this gives you or anyone else an idea.
IMG_20211228_103658208_HDR.jpg

@rhwestfall , what is the brand/model of that one? I have been looking at a few with that basic design. Any negatives you have found? Some reviews have mentioned flimsy plastic (the hinge screws apparently screw right into the plastic) and rusting hinges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom