Tank storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I am working on the moving thing. NOTHING, well virtually nothing (except the boa constrictor), gets past "the Nose" (aka the landlady) so I'd have to wait until she went out to sneak it in. Another tennent might see me though plus I'd have to drag it up the stairs and then if I wanted to use it/them back down the stairs stealthily. There are also no closets in this place. I think the trunk is my best bet and since this is suburbia I always lock the trunk. I was just concerned that the temp. extremes in the trunk could damage a tank.

Now, for transport in your trunk you don't want the tanks rolling or sliding around. If the valve hits something just right it can open & you lose your gas.

You can make simple tank holders like these that I made:

3 tanks:

3tank.jpg

2 tanks:

2tank.jpg

These are simply pool noodles cut to length & tied with fat nylon rope. You can make ones that will last longer by using PVC pipe, for about the same cost.

Disguise it as an oxygen bottle, color your hair gray, get a walker, and tell the landlady you're suffering from an early aging disease that requires you to have O2 at all times. Quote the Americans with Disabilities Act repeatedley, and threaten to call your lawyer if she gives you any grief about it.

Mark Vlahos:
Under the bed is a 6 and 3/4 inch space between the floor and the bed frame, only the AL 40 would fit! Besides the apartment has a giant walk in closet. :)

Mark Vlahos

You seem to know Gidd's app't quite well. :)

Pete

spectrum:
You seem to know Gidd's app't quite well. :)

Pete

Post 7 of this thread, my post was quoted, and that is what I was replying to. :)

Mark Vlahos

Gidds,
The reason your landlord may have the compressed gas clause in your lease agreement most likely stems from Fire code regulations prohibiting the storage and/or use of Liquefied Petroleum Gases within or around type R occupancies with an exception for single family dwelling. If you live in an ICC code state, then fire code section 3803.2 describes where LPG containers may be used. It is VERY LIMITED. If yours is not an ICC state then you will most likely have a similar municipal code, just the section numbers are different.

Most people cannot distinguish the difference between different types of gas cylinders. They do not distinguish between an O2 cylinder, a scuba air cylinder, and a 20lb propane tank. NY state has added a section to the fire code 3805.3 that excludes apartment dwelling use of LPG almost entirely. There is sound reasoning for this but I do not have the space to discuss it here, if you need to know PM me.

Since a SCUBA cylinder is not LPG, nor does it posess any specific hazard as adressed by the code, it's use and storage is regulated by chapter 30. Chapter 30 if the ICC Fire Code places no restrictions on the use or storage of an air cylinder within a group R occupancy (your apartment).

Here's the rub...
The landlord is just trying to protect himself. Since it would be too difficult to explain to every tenent exactly why they cannot have a propane grill on their balcony it is easier to place a blanket statement in the lease that prohibits compressed gas cylinders (remember most people don't know the difference between a tank and a cylinder). If you know the property manager well enough, you could attempt to explain this to him. Most likely, since it is hard to explain, you could just store them in your apartment (move them after dark).

Anyway, I'm sure this didn't help much but maybe you can understand why the clause is in your lease.

Ken

Oh, yea, BTW a wee propane tank? shame on you (hanging my head in dissapointment)

Ken

How about a duffel type bag large enough to fit the tank and strong enough to not break while transporting?

My LDS rents their gear with large 'dry-bags' that will fit at least a steel-72.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom