Tank standards what a mess!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timakempton

Contributor
Reaction score
Inspired by a recent thread on European tanks, I would like to ask when PADI or SSI or some other world wide body is going to put in place a "World" Standard for tanks?????

The current situation is absurd!!!

If I buy a Faber tank in Britain for example, it will be stamped with the BS or EU standard number. If I bring it back to Australia, I can't get if filled or certified. The issue is the same in the US because you have the DOT standard and vice-versa. It's ridiculous!!
I mean they are most often identical tanks made in the same plant and the only difference is the Standards Number stamped on them. The stamp an AS number for Australia/NZ or a BS or EU number for Europe and a DOT number for the US and so on and we are left with tanks that we cannot take outside our countries because the standard Numbers are not present. Getting these tanks certified for use in other countries is a total pain in the rear and often very expensive.

Why cant we have a World standard that is equivalent or higher of all the standards that we can use anywhere.....

That will happen as soon as the United Nations premepts sovereign nations and does away with silly things like national borders. At that time, Austraulia will get Japanese administrators who will oversee all aspects of your life, including cylinder standards. I can't wait. :)

Inspired by a recent thread on European tanks, I would like to ask when PADI or SSI or some other world wide body is going to put in place a "World" Standard for tanks?????

Padi or any for profit dive certification company has never been commissioned with oversight of government functions such as regulating interstate commerce. We have a Congress for that, as poorly as they are. Padi and world standard, wow, that will be the day. Hope their cylinder standards are held more highly than their training standards.

Very few people tote tanks around with them so it is mostly a non issue.

N

Given the pain in the proverbial that transporting tanks is anyway. Ie if flying valves must be removed. It's only when you look at the disparity in purchasing prices that it becomes an issue. Once you've bought the tank the pain then comes from the annual hydros.

Very few people tote tanks around with them so it is mostly a non issue.

Not so. Many people, myself included travel with pony bottles. I bring a Catalina 13 cf and a Faber LP 27 cf. So far no problems filling. I could always just fill them from my shore diving tanks if it became an issue. If you've got a valid hydro and vis why would it be a problem?

Not so. Many people, myself included travel with pony bottles. I bring a Catalina 13 cf and a Faber LP 27 cf. So far no problems filling. I could always just fill them from my shore diving tanks if it became an issue. If you've got a valid hydro and vis why would it be a problem?

If you are filling the tank, you don't really need hydro or VIP. You only really need Hydro's for transport anyways and if you are filling the bottle in a foreign country that does not recognize DOT or UE markings as valid then you have already violated that law so having a valid hydro is moot. But then again what ever gives you the warm and fuzzy.

It will happen, sometime after the US adopts the metric system.....:D

Their is no big monetary reward to rewrite the specs and many different organizations and companies involved. Without in incentive the undertaking is simply too large. If you have every worked on an international standard group you would understand. In theory its simple and 2 knowledgeable people could agree on a standard in a couple of days, on this scale it would take many years and 10's of thousands of man hours to get all the political factions in line.

We're really talking about pressure cylinder regulations and scuba is a small subsection of that realm. The training agencies don't have a dog in this fight.

Can we do away with Imperial units while we're at it?

The tank manufacturer could just put all three stamps on the cylinders when their made.. that way it's good to go every where... Sounds simple.... I'm sure the standards are really close

Jim..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom