tank size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check the weight table for the different types of cylinders. I belive Catalina cylinders has one on their web site. You might find that a standard aluminum 80 is the same weight or lighter than a HP 80 (only come in steel). Getting a small volume cylinder may be a better bet, plus it is a known fact that girls use less air than guys when diving. So you can dive the same length of time as a guy with a smaller tank.

muddiver:
Check the weight table for the different types of cylinders. I belive Catalina cylinders has one on their web site. You might find that a standard aluminum 80 is the same weight or lighter than a HP 80 (only come in steel). Getting a small volume cylinder may be a better bet, plus it is a known fact that girls use less air than guys when diving. So you can dive the same length of time as a guy with a smaller tank.

Probably should have looked this up yourself before posting. Most AL80s are the size and weight of my HP100s!

Lessthanlethal:
Well again,thanks for all your help. Need New credit card to support my new hobbie. Lol
B.

Tell me about it.

Rainer:
That'd be funny if it wasn't the reason for my newest credit card...

Me too.
Here is a chart that might help you.
http://www.divesports.com/mall/worthington_x7_80galv.asp

I bought a LP 77 and I love it. The high pressure 80 would probably be great for you as it is lighter overall. You could look here
They are a great bunch at Dive Sports. Flat rate shipping special right now on tanks.

check this information:

http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

X7-80

As you can see the HP 80 is about 5 lbs lighter and about 10 inches shorter. Another thing to consider is you will require less weight as the steel tank is negative 3 empty and the AL80 is positive 3, which would mean you could use 6 lbs less lead in salt water. So with the 5 lbs less tank weight and 5-6 lbs less lead you would be lighter.

The steel tanks are more money, but will last a lot longer than an aluminum, if taken care of. I had some steel 72's I sold in 1998 that I had purchased in 1960. They still passed hydro and VIP.

I agree on the HP-80 suggestion. AL63 would be the fall back.

Here's the logic behind it all.

Pete

I am 5'2" and LOVE my steel 80's. I could never get an AL80 positioned right. If I mounted it too far up, it would hinder my kick, if too far down I would bang my head on the first stage. Always frustrating until I tried the HP80. I was in love and just waited and waited and saved the $$ for the right opportunity. Of course I had a used AL80 and AL50 to use until then. Still have my AL80 as a back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom