Tank Rentals for Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure experiences vary, but the only place where I've left my cert card with the tank rental guys was at the dive park at Catalina. Since we were diving on site, leaving a card with the rental guys wasn't a big deal. Of course, the card I gave them was my basic open water diver rather than my advanced or Nitrox cert cards.

Who knows, maybe the shops in Kona will be happy just to hold your credit card hostage to ensure that you don't try to fly home with their tanks. (lol)

-AZTinman

Last edited:
Really? What would you do if you ran into the Florida Fish & Game? (or whatever it's called there). Tell them to check with the dive shop?

No one in Hawaii I've ever dove with did. I've been diving in the islands since 1984 or so. Show it, d/l plus credit card for the rental. If anything they're going to be more interested in your last dive as they get tourists who haven't dove in a decade deciding to go for a dive on their own.

You might (probably) need to show your cert. card to the DLNR if you ran into them so I don't think any shop would take it. Rent/tow a flag so you're covered - it's actually the law.

Jack's Diving Locker is on Alii Dr. south of town. You could go by it diving/driving south without much detour. A few miles straight south on Alii and you'll go by Pahoehoe Beach Park and Mile Marker #4 - both shore dive sites.

Kona Diving Co. also rents tanks - they did to my buddy a couple years ago. No idea how many but he would be the 4 tanks/day guy if possible.
F&G asks to see cert cards? I'd not heard about that.

F&G asks to see cert cards? I'd not heard about that.
I don't know if they do or not. Or if that's even the right regulatory body in Florida. The places I've shore dove it's not unheard of for there to be marine park officials or park rangers who might. In Hawaii they're definitely going to want to see some ID if they find you diving without a flag. I saw a DLNR officer once in South Maui watching divers with binoculars - we left before anything happened.

Is Florida different? I don't know personally - I don't shore dive there. My reply was based on the OP's post that some shops do there.

And I was asking the same question you are rhetorically.

Try the small shop operated by a French couple in Captain Cook. I forgot what the name of the shop is, but they are right on the main highway. You'll see the dive flag on your left when you go south.

Try the small shop operated by a French couple in Captain Cook. I forgot what the name of the shop is, but they are right on the main highway. You'll see the dive flag on your left when you go south.
Thanks! I'll be staying in Captain Cook so that's perfect.

I don't know if they do or not. Or if that's even the right regulatory body in Florida. The places I've shore dove it's not unheard of for there to be marine park officials or park rangers who might. In Hawaii they're definitely going to want to see some ID if they find you diving without a flag. I saw a DLNR officer once in South Maui watching divers with binoculars - we left before anything happened.

Is Florida different? I don't know personally - I don't shore dive there. My reply was based on the OP's post that some shops do there.

And I was asking the same question you are rhetorically.
I had just never heard of a cert card having any legal or bureaucratic relevance to the act of diving itself, such that a LEO would ask to see it. Are there statutes or regulations in any dive locales that require certification? Pt. Lobos State Park in Cali requires proof of cert to dive there, but that's the only one I happen to know of.

Both Florida and Hawaii have dive flag laws - which are probably honored with about equal frequency in both locales - and while I've heard of the occasional ticket or warning, I've never heard of being asked about certification status . Just curious if that's a thing anywhere.

Hes closed since earlier this year.

Ya. Kona shops will be your best bet. How many tanks do you need?

For me it is not the number of tanks but the distance. I'll be staying in Capt Cook, so driving back and forth to Kona will be a pain.

Did they close for good or someone bought the business? I remember the previous owners, a local couple before the French bought it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom