Tank Rentals for Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mahukona is an unusual site in terms of fish life. This is the only spot I've seen large schools of lemon BF on the Big Island. I never saw them anywhere S of Kona, and only singles or pairs at Alua or Old Airport. Also, some other species, like bluestripe BF and cigar wrasse, I've seen these only at Mahukona. I'd dive there again despite the long drive from Capt Cook where I typically stay.

Ke'ei has turtles and lots of morays; however, given the high quality of corals that you've mentioned, the density of fish population overall there is surprisingly low.

There is another nice entrance just N of Ke'ei, in the small bay at the end of Kahauloa Rd at Capt Cook. Locals keep their eyes on you but they are friendly. I did this one several times. Can't say the dives were very exciting but still better than this park just N of Magic Sands in Kona where lots of folks dive.

I've seen the yellow cigar fish a couple of times, but you're right it's uncommon. I don't recall where now. Those butterflyfish are also not as common as some other butterflyfish species. Guess I'll have to go back to Mahukona!

Now that you mention it, I don't recall Ke'ei being that fishy. Certainly there are other spots that come to mind. It may be because it's not as easy to get up around the shallow reef tops where the surge zone schools of tangs often are. I did see a yellow frog fish there, that was unusual. The last few times I've been out to the Cook Monument it seems like the fish have been sparse there as well the last few years. Could be seasonal I suppose, I tend to go over the winter.

I've never tried to get in north of Ke'ei, other than at the sea wall at the bay parking lot and that wasn't great. I didn't know there were any access spots in that little neighborhood and didn't want to be too intrusive.

Are you talking about Kahuluu Beach Park, with the sea wall, surfers, and little church? If you get out beyond the sea wall it's a little barren but lots of structure and fairly fishy. There used to be access just south along the Racquet Club property, so you'd be a couple hundred yards south of the sea wall. That was a nice spot to look around, and for a night dive. The access is closed off now unfortunately, some of the shoreline there was given over to restricted activity. I think the old Outrigger has been swallowed up in that as well now.

No, Kahuluu is way North. It is a good snorkeling place but too shallow for diving (although, you can probably dive there if you manage to break out through the coral reef, same way as i Hilo's Richardson Park). I'm talking about southern area of Kealakekua bay, the other side of Capt Cook. There used to be a parking lot right next to the stop sign where Rt 160 turns left but now they moved it to the right. So if you want to dive Kealakekua bay, better go from Manini beach. It is not a great dive but chances are good to see reef sharks at the last huge dome coral at the NW corner of the dome coral field.

LOL, I was referring to the spot near Magic Sands that you mentioned. Dome corals on the shoreward side of Kealakekua Bay? That's an interesting tidbit about Manini Beach, thanks.

Ah, that's Pahoehoe beach park! Kahuluu is to the south of Magic Sands. At Manini, there is kinda narrow sand channel where kids and their mom enter water, with some cold springs underwater. Swim out a bit to the right but not too much to the right, and you will hit the domes.

Ah, I haven't tried Pahoehoe. I've gone north out of Kahuluu, and tried Mile 4.5 and a spot in between that may no longer be accessible, and thought that area was kinda featureless - but haven't tried around Magic Sands or Pahoehoe. Just beyond there, from Casa Emdeko north to almost the edge of Kailua, is more interesting I think.

Great timing on this post....will be staying across from magic sands in a month so this is very timely and helpful! Looking forward to my first unguided shore dives (been spoiled). Any other tips? Good dive op for some boat dives as well? Mantas late Aug / early Sept?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know the seasonality of mantas, if there is any. Best to just check with the shops for recent scores. I've used only Big Island Divers for boat dives, and have no complaints, aside from DM-led diving generally. You'll find several others recommended here as well. I patronize BID for their rental policies and prices, which suit my shore diving focus.

There are so many good dive sites on the west side of the Big Island, you can easily enjoy a week or two by just working through the ones you see recommended here and in various guide books, maps, and online resources, and by jumping on a boat. If you're shore diving, just be careful as many of the sites are only safely accessible during calm seas - the lava bench exits require some skill and nimbleness with technique and are not something to be taken lightly even on the calmest days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom