Tank Rentals for Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. Its a salon or something now. Shame too. He had a nice Nuvair system. Where do you plan on diving? If your shore diving S. I cant imagine anywhere other than 2 step or Hookena. If N. You'll be going through Kona anyway.

No. Its a salon or something now. Shame too. He had a nice Nuvair system. Where do you plan on diving? If your shore diving S. I cant imagine anywhere other than 2 step or Hookena. If N. You'll be going through Kona anyway.
I've been using shorediving.com to find spots... Are there any south of kona that you want to share?

Nothing from shore thats safe or could be timed right on a short schedule. Youve got 2 step. Get there early. Its an easy dive. Shallower reef to the south. Deeper inclines on the north. Hookena is pretty sandy. Also limited parking. Milolii is really nice. But you have to be comfy with some lava rock entries/exists and/or a little surface swim. Beautiful structure. Fish life diminished. South Point is my fave. I think some of the best diving on the island. Raw and untouched. But can be dangerous. Hard exit. And potential for heavy currents. I rarely run it without my dpv. I would rent some tanks. Do 2 step. And the crawl your way up the Kona coast to Puako or Mahukona.

Also Pebble Beach and Milolii. Maybe even your fave SP. Did that once, will love to dive there again.

I keep forgetting about Pebble. Going down Kona Paradise will burn your brakes up but Iv heard it's a nice shore dive.

When time is right. The surf there can be brutal. Also, do not forget your compass if you go. The landscape underwater is such a mess chances are high you'll get lost.

Yes unless they take your cert card like some shops in Florida have been known to do for this very reason.

What do they do with people with an E-Card take their phone or refuse to rent? If they are a padi shop and they refuse the E-Card it may result in some issues for them.

I've been using shorediving.com to find spots... Are there any south of kona that you want to share?
In addition to those mentioned, Ke'ei near Kealekekua Bay is also nice. That's pretty much it for Kealekekua and south, those handful of spots - unless you've got access over private land. There just aren't any other public access points from land. Kayaking out to Cook Monument with a couple of tanks used to be fun, but that has become more regulated from what I've heard.

In addition to those mentioned, Ke'ei near Kealekekua Bay is also nice. That's pretty much it for Kealekekua and south, those handful of spots - unless you've got access over private land. There just aren't any other public access points from land. Kayaking out to Cook Monument with a couple of tanks used to be fun, but that has become more regulated from what I've heard.
Yes, I forgot this one. Ke'ei from my experience is pretty much the Mahukona of the south: relatively flat and shallow, with sandy patches.

Yes, I forgot this one. Ke'ei from my experience is pretty much the Mahukona of the south: relatively flat and shallow, with sandy patches.
I've only done Mahukona a couple of times and so far it isn't one of my favorites, though I can't say I've explored it adequately. I haven't had good viz the times I was there.

Ke'ei goes from shallow to deep, with sandy bottom and garden eels down at 90' or so. Some of the best coral that I've found there is shallow 20ft or less - but that's pretty much the rule in Hawaii. On calm days, there's lots of nooks along the shore bench to explore.

It has a reputation for good visibility, though I can't say it's seemed much different from many other sites in that regard. I've done maybe 10 tanks there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom