Tank rack for boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apenland01

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm having trouble finding a horizontal 2 tank rack for my boat that is made out of rubber or other material I can put carpet on. I don't want the rack to mess up the carpet on my boat and I just don't see anything that is workable. Has anyone seen a rack that might work?

Pic of the boat attached and I will be putting it on the back deck. I guess it could be a 4 tank rack, but I'm just not seeing anything...

IMG-2876.jpg

I'm having trouble finding a horizontal 2 tank rack for my boat that is made out of rubber or other material I can put carpet on. I don't want the rack to mess up the carpet on my boat and I just don't see anything that is workable. Has anyone seen a rack that might work?

Pic of the boat attached and I will be putting it on the back deck. I guess it could be a 4 tank rack, but I'm just not seeing anything...

View attachment 605708
So are you planning on diving solo or with a buddy? What size tanks? Single tanks or twin-sets?
Why must they be horizontal?
https://www.amazon.com/Trident-Triple-Foam-Tank-Rack/dp/B00KAIH4HY will work, but you'll need straps across them and holding points for the straps.

Would it make sense to build some sort of floor that would be a tight fit/secure on the bottom? Something that you would mount your racks too and would be safe in the case of the worst case scenario (collision)

So are you planning on diving solo or with a buddy? What size tanks? Single tanks or twin-sets?
Why must they be horizontal?
https://www.amazon.com/Trident-Triple-Foam-Tank-Rack/dp/B00KAIH4HY will work, but you'll need straps across them and holding points for the straps.

Could be for both buddy and solo in the future and for single tanks. The biggest reason for horizontal is because the deck is only 3 inches below the gunwales, so if there was any shift, the tanks would slide, versus tipping and going into my motor or overboard. Vertical storage and transportation is not an option for me, as I have no way to stabilize the tanks in the floor without modifications to retain them. The foam rack you posted from Amazon would work and I could bungee/rope the tanks in place using the existing cleats to keep them in place on transport.

Get some 8 inch pvc pipe. Then ratchet strap them down.

Quick and easy. You could remove it in seconds.

This is an excellent idea, I need to think around this one...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAIHO0G/ref=dp_cerb_3

this is all you need. If you are a quarantined DIY guy, get some 2-inch pvc pipe, drill holes run the rope and use 6 inches of garden hose between each pipe and over the rope. The garden hose will keep the tanks from sliding... You might have to check on the 6-inc dimension.. that is a guess, you want the tanks to be cradled by the pipes. You could probably tie each side to a cleat or something if you want to drive like a maniac.

If you don't want to make anything and want a simple solution with the utility of also allowing to act as cart, this is what I use for my truck. I actually have two. One for two LP108s and the other for my BC and gear milk crate. Two trips from the truck and all my gear is at the boat. Also serves for transporting anything from tools to groceries in my truck bed. Anyway, for $60 and a ratchet strap you'd be set. They have a taller box, but I wanted the shorter ones to be tonneau cover friendly.

Husky 35 in. Rolling Tool Box-222167 - The Home Depot

105556431_10220844312311914_7080726708216228639_o.jpg

105689824_10220844311871903_5167799518126034285_o.jpg

If you don't want to make anything and want a simple solution with the utility of also allowing to act as cart, this is what I use for my truck. I actually have two. One for two LP108s and the other for my BC and gear milk crate. Two trips from the truck and all my gear is at the boat. Also serves for transporting anything from tools to groceries in my truck bed. Anyway, for $60 and a ratchet strap you'd be set. They have a taller box, but I wanted the shorter ones to be tonneau cover friendly.

View attachment 605752

View attachment 605753
Dude, I never even thought to put my twins in my Pelican after bringing all the other gear to the boat. That is amazing!

View attachment 605752

View attachment 605753

I like this idea a lot! It's mobile for hauling into the shop for fills, garage to truck, truck to boat. It would protect the valves while on the boat if there was a little chop or wakes from other boats. Perfect solution for my situation, thanks for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom