Tank Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
What should I use to get glue from the damn stickers I had off a painted AL80, so I can get it in to be cleaned for Nitrox? Just 2 little spots have some glue left.

Also I just heard that the BIG old yellow and green band isn't really needed. All the other markings on a Nitrox tank, tell you the important info (%, MOD, etc), and by having them, it shows that it's a Nitrox tank.

I've also heard that some shops won't fill a tank without the band, even if all the other markings are there.

What has been everyone's experience in this area. I really don't care one way or the other. I don't want to waste $$$ if I don't need it. On the other hand, if I'll have problems getting fills around here, I might as well have it.

Goo Gone...

If that dosen't work you could up the ante to something like acetone.

Well...there is this thread that has some debate going on.

Essentially, if you are getting fills from a banked system or continuous blend system, you don't need to have anything special done to the tank if you're diving recreational (less than 40%) mixes.

As for removing sticky stuff: soap, water, a good sponge, & elbow grease is best.

I wouldn't suggest harsh chemicals unless you talk to someone who hydros tanks first...FredT here on the board may very well know of something you can use.

grunzster:
What should I use to get glue from the damn stickers I had off a painted AL80, so I can get it in to be cleaned for Nitrox? Just 2 little spots have some glue left.

Also I just heard that the BIG old yellow and green band isn't really needed. All the other markings on a Nitrox tank, tell you the important info (%, MOD, etc), and by having them, it shows that it's a Nitrox tank.

I've also heard that some shops won't fill a tank without the band, even if all the other markings are there.

What has been everyone's experience in this area. I really don't care one way or the other. I don't want to waste $$$ if I don't need it. On the other hand, if I'll have problems getting fills around here, I might as well have it.

The bands are required by most if not all LDS that I know of including DS.

It is nice to just look at a tank and know that it may have a gas in it other than air and that it is hyperfiltered. It keeps new divers from just picking up a tank and using it. (in most cases)

They will/should also put a different VIP sticker on it indicating that the tank as been O2 cleaned. In most cases this will keep fill stations from filling it will a standard air fill.

DSAO

Goo Gone is citrus-based and acetone is used in fingernail polish remover. Neither will be reactive with metals.

NEWreckDiver:
They will/should also put a different VIP sticker on it indicating that the tank as been O2 cleaned. In most cases this will keep fill stations from filling it will a standard air fill.
I still don't know why a tank has to be O2 cleaned for recreational EANx mix outside of a PP filling station. There is no danger in filling tanks from a banked system, analyzing the gas, labelling the tank with that analysis, then diving that mix....maybe I'm wrong, but I jut don't see the issue here.

Big-t-2538:
I still don't know why a tank has to be O2 cleaned for recreational EANx mix outside of a PP filling station. There is no danger in filling tanks from a banked system, analyzing the gas, labelling the tank with that analysis, then diving that mix....maybe I'm wrong, but I jut don't see the issue here.

O2 cleaning is just being on the safe side. We all know there isn't much to cleaning the tanks and changing the o-rings.

To me it is just with bands, new divers are less likely to pick up a nitrox tank and dive with it. That could be worst than seeing a valve fire from the extra O2 in the tank. Which rarely happens.

Big-t-2538:
I wouldn't suggest harsh chemicals unless you talk to someone who hydros tanks first...FredT here on the board may very well know of something you can use.

Luxfer has a clear coat on some of their newer bottles, Y2K and later that coat is temperature sensitive for a heat indicator. Some chemicals may damage it, so if the tank is new I'd suggest contacting Luxfer.

As to pre 2000 tanks of any manufacturer what peels the label glue is glue specific. I've use goo gone, acetone, isopopyl alcohol, brake cleaner, Kroil, and several other more exotic substances to good result. Just keep whatever you use OUT of the tank!

Well thanks for all the advice guys. Cleaned the tanks, but now I found out that both of my tanks are made from the 6351 alloy :mad:

grunzster:
Well thanks for all the advice guys. Cleaned the tanks, but now I found out that both of my tanks are made from the 6351 alloy :mad:

SO..............

Get the eddy curent check done and keep diving them if they are sound. The odds of a failure at VIS from just the alloy are VERY small.

FT

Back
Top Bottom