tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spudman

Registered
Reaction score
this is not really a scuba tank its a scott air tank and i want to see if i can put a scuba valve on it and fill paintball tanks with it. is it safe to put that much pressure in it? any i deas on how i can get the valve off?

this is a pic of the valve
tank%20valve 2 resized.jpg

this is a pic of the entire tank
PICT0183.JPG

I really don't know much about SCBA tanks, but I'll share what I know / can find out.

Firefighter friends say aluminium Scott packs are 45 cubic feet at 2200 psi service pressure.

Don't know what size valve they use... but going to guess they don't use the same threads as a scuba tank valve.

Bout all I could find out for ya...

-Brandon.

You can get an adapter for that tank just like the ones you get for the SCUBA tanks to fill your paintball tanks. Try Global Manufacturing.

is there a way i can take off the valve without having a shop do it?

Spud, anything can be done IF you really want to do it, given time and money. First question is, do you want to preserve the valve? If not, empty tank, secure the tank so it doesn't spin and then you should be able to get a large pipe wrench on the valve, twist.

The first real question to be answered is, what are the thread pitch and count?

ok well im on a low budget. yes i want to keep the tank. i have a vice but it doesnt open wide enough and i would imagine a pipe wrench that big would be very expensive.

fairbanksdiver:
I really don't know much about SCBA tanks, but I'll share what I know / can find out.

Firefighter friends say aluminium Scott packs are 45 cubic feet at 2200 psi service pressure.

Don't know what size valve they use... but going to guess they don't use the same threads as a scuba tank valve.

Bout all I could find out for ya...

-Brandon.

The valve on an SCBA cylinder is a different thread and boss than on a scuba cylinder. You can't replace it with a scuba valve. You can get an adapter from SCBA to scuba so you can use your PB adapter. The adapter should run about $75 But before you invest in this you should have the SCBA cylinder checked out by your filler / dive center to make sure it is in hydro and is servicable.

cheers

Before spending any money on this TANK....
1.when was last test date Hydro must be within 5 years.
2.Most importantly you can purchase used scuba tank for $75 or less that has current hydro and no Valve adapter needed...
3.Take to DIVE SHOP let them help you work it out they will help I would...
Aloha Mark..

The same thing without the underwater part =)

SCBA = Self contained breathing apparatus.

SCUBA = Self contained UNDERWATER breathing apparatus.

Not that SCBA tanks won't work underwater.. many will work just fine to 15-30 feet or so, but there's special maintenance needs afterwards.

We were discussing this on another thread. A scuba tank fill station will run you about $200-250 for the tank and fill whip. Fills will cost you $5, and you should be able to fill your paintball tank about 2 dozen times on that $5. SCBA may be more expensive to set up, as the tanks / fittings are different, and the paintball fill adapters for them are not as common.

It's not cheap initially... but 2 dozen fills for $5 sure beats 2 dozen fills at $3 / each.

Guess it depends on how much you play.

-Brandon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom