Tank purchasing questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnersasi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently made another post about a used pair of HP130s and got such good responses that I figured I'd try again with a little broader of a question.

I've been looking for quite some time into buying a set of steel tanks. I would strongly prefer to have HP100s, but I'm considering larger sizes if the price is right, and even possibly 80s if there is a great deal around. I'm looking at prices online, and have been a little put off at the thought of having to spend $700+ on a set of tanks. I just don't have that kind of money to invest right now.

Judging by the buoyancy characteristics, and galvanization of the Worthington tanks, I am strongly leaning towards picking up a pair of those and my question is where can the best price be found? I've seen other recent threads that claimed to have found them shipped to your door for under $500, but I haven't been able to find that myself. Does anyone have a retailer in mind that offers this great deal? Alternatively, I'm fine with buying used, so if someone is looking to unload a pair in the Boston area, I'm all ears.

I'd certainly consider other tank manufacturers too, its just that Worthington seemed to have it all. Hey, what do I know though? I'm new to the whole tank purchasing thing. If anyone cares to enlighten me as to flaws in Worthington tanks or why another manufacturer makes a better one, I'd appreciate the education.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

I have Worthington 130s and love them. Be careful about going too big though if you plan on doubling up someday. Luckily, I'm a big guy (6'6") and I can handle double 130s, but I've seen some struggle with them, and you really should have some kind of redundant buoyancy.

I'm looking at Worthington HP 100s now for my girlfriend and we will probably get them from Scubatoys. Liesurepro has them and ships free, but I believe Scubatoys has a much better reputation, and ya never know, they might price match with the shipping. Can't hurt to ask.

Worthington makes great tanks. Although, the ones I have are the older Pressed Steel Tanks HP 3500psi tanks. Pressed Steel went out of business a few years back but I belive they are going to re-open with new ownership. If I was buying today I'd go with the Worthington. I like to have lots of air and am fairly big and love my HP120's. I would probably go with the 130's if I was doing it again now. I have no intention of doubling them up so that wouldn't be a consideration for me. You need to make your decision based on what you need and want. Your size, SAC rate and dive profiles should all be considered in your decision. I sometimes come back with over 1000 psi in my tank, and sometimes do 2 dives off of one tank (my boat). It just depends what you want to do and what you're comfortable with for size and weight. Good luck!

Mike

I'm looking to be able to have enough air while carrying the least amount of weight possible (aren't we all). Based off those two criteria, it seemed to me like the Worthington HP100 was the tank for me. Since I'm still fairly new to diving, I have no idea whether or not I'd be doubling some day or not. I suppose that if I maintain this level of interest, I will want to push the limits of what I can do eventually. With that said, are the 100s capable of being doubled? If so, are they a good choice for doing so? Although the 100s suit my needs now, I don't want to be making this same purchase again a few years down the line when things change.

I think you will enjoy the 100s even further on down the road. I have an 80, a 100 and an LP95 and enjoy different things about each of them. I think the 100s will be your best bet though.

I'm looking to be able to have enough air while carrying the least amount of weight possible (aren't we all). Based off those two criteria, it seemed to me like the Worthington HP100 was the tank for me. Since I'm still fairly new to diving, I have no idea whether or not I'd be doubling some day or not. I suppose that if I maintain this level of interest, I will want to push the limits of what I can do eventually. With that said, are the 100s capable of being doubled? If so, are they a good choice for doing so? Although the 100s suit my needs now, I don't want to be making this same purchase again a few years down the line when things change.

It sounds like the HP100's will do what you're looking for. They're not heavy and hold 30% more air than an AL80(77). I have 5 of them which my sons use. I use the 120's and love them but I could usually get by with a 100 just fine.

Mike

Last edited:
Another vote for the Worthington 100's
I have a Worthington 100, 119, and 2 80's. By far I like the 100 the best out of all three tanks.
The 119 is great for a long first dive but I wouldn't want to be lugging around double 119's. They also seem excessively bulky.

The 80's are nice, light little tank for short shallow dives. My girlfriend primarily uses the 80 when I dive the 100 and we usually end the dive with about the same amount of gas.

But if I had to do it all over again, all of my tanks would be the Worthington 100's. They seem to have just the right size/weight/volume characteristics for me. I don't dive doubles yet but when I do eventually go that route, I will definately be adding another 100.

100s are great as singles and will work great as doubles for most people. I would avoid HP80s unless you are fairly short. Many people have trouble trimming those out nicely because they are so stumpy. I personally dislike them, and have heard many others say the same thing. Some people on the other hand like them and sometimes you can find great deals on them.

LP85s are great too, esp if you doubt you can get high pressure fills easily. They will also double up very nicely. Lot of places will sell low pressure tanks a lot cheaper than HPs. Sometimes there have been some great internet deals on painted Faber 100s too. For saving a $100/tank I sure don't mind painted, and Fabers are very nice tanks.

For some weird reason my shop sells new Worthington LP85s and HP100s for nearly same price. You can still get an HP100 for <300 bucks but I wonder how long that will last. They do not do free shipping though :wink:

worthington 100HP

I have 2 of them. Sometime, I can get 2 dives out of 1 tank, and like Bill_PNW_Diver said. they have juste the right size/weight/volume characteristics. I'm 5'3" tall and diving in a wet suit. They are perfect. With a 7mm wet suit and diving fresh water, I just need 8 lb of weight, compairing to 16-18 lb with and Al80.

I love my tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom