tank prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1MyWay

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since Worthington is about to come out with a new high pressure tank I wonder if the price of the PST tanks will come down or will Worthington just match the price of the PST. I am wanting a set of PST's really bad but if I wait will I reap the benefit of competion? I can wait about six months at the most after that I will have to take it in the shorts. Any thoughts are welcome, or am I just being cheap.

IMHO I would say that even with a new entry into the PST arena, I don't think the price is going to come down enough to make a difference unless the competition can flood the market. In my area (SE Florida), and many others, the PST e-7 100s and 120s sell out faster than the shops can get them in. If you want the tanks bad enough and don't have to mortgage the house, buy them...

Well that's the question, I want a set (meaning 2) of e8-130's and willing to wait for them. However the shop I usually buy through doesn't carry PST only Worthington. The shop owner obviously wants me to wait for the Worthington, but can't give me a price yet. However, the PST tanks look sexy with there galvanized coat, and the Worthington epoxy coat is just that. This is my first set of doubles so I would like to get it right the first time. With that said I am going to puchase another set next year.

double 130's, thats a lot of gas!!! My buddy dives an E8-130, and doubled up it would be a lot of mass.

Having talked to my cavern/cave instructor the e8-=130's is the eqivilent the to the LP 104's. Which is the standard for cave and wreck diving.

A bunch of friends of mine dive them doubled. They say the weight difference is neglible between those and 100's. It's good to have extra gas. Go for it.

I dive them doubled myself as I want them for Tri-Mix (at 200 ft. you cannot have too much breathing gas).

Same comment as OEX2 about the weight. My Genesis HP100's probably weigh more as a matter of fact.

The myth seems to be everyone is making a small fortune on tanks, as a wholesaler I can say we make a gross profit of as little as $6.00 on a tank. The idea that a price war will break out and cause cylinder prices to drop dramatically is wishful thinking.

There are some things that are outside the control of the LDS, cost of steel, shipping, cost of manufacturing... At one point it was said that tanks were a "lost leader" for scuba shops, they were lucky to make $5-10 on a tank. Almost no markup.

The question is was PST getting "fat" on the tanks before? Were they giving the dealers a higher profit margin? If the answer was no, then there should be little wiggle room for them.

That's what we used to hear. But, I have always wondered if then, how the price varies for PST E-130. Based on my tracking the price, it varies from $419 to $315 shipped.

If you have a williness to pay $100 more per tank, it doesn't matter though.

Don't you think it is too much to pay $200 more for the double set up to support your LDS?

Just my 2 cents.
P.S. BTW, Larry (scubatoys.com) carries E-130 tanks. He is also LDS.

MikeC:
There are some things that are outside the control of the LDS, cost of steel, shipping, cost of manufacturing... At one point it was said that tanks were a "lost leader" for scuba shops, they were lucky to make $5-10 on a tank. Almost no markup.

The question is was PST getting "fat" on the tanks before? Were they giving the dealers a higher profit margin? If the answer was no, then there should be little wiggle room for them.

Back
Top Bottom