tank prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm always amazed at the difference in prices between the PST 80s, 100s and 130's...in Florida City last weekend I saw them for 180, 280 and 360 - surely the costs to make a 100 vs an 80 can't be $100 more (and that was a great price for the E7-100 - usually if you do see them, they're in the 300's which is ~150 more for 20cuft)

What I here is the daemand is quite high for the new steels. Maybe motive for a new supplier in the market. Looks like demand may be to high for price drops.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
I got a PST 80 cf for $150 from my LDS. Love the size, extra air and I'm down to diving about 6lbs of weight.

I can assure you that that price is below the LDS's cost

MikeC:
The question is was PST getting "fat" on the tanks before? Were they giving the dealers a higher profit margin? If the answer was no, then there should be little wiggle room for them.
When a company has a near monopoly, they're usually not getting fat, they simply sell for what it costs to make, plus some profit. When competition heats up, they find ways to make and/or distribute the product for less, so they can reduce their price.

So I would expect PST's price to the LDS to drop if they have more competition. And a new supplier would be crazy to enter a market with an 800lb gorilla, without offering advantages; most likely price.

My 2c.

Agree. The scuba market should be much more competitive. Only this market is still pursueing the old market tactic. To realize this, we need to have a lot of new divers who can give a motive to the new business. Only demand can change this market, not supply by itself.

My 2 cent.

me and my brother just each got a E-8 130 from our LDS and paid $300 a piece. every place i found on the internet wanted like $400 or more. and they had 3 or 4 left to. and they also had 5 or 6 E-8 119s there for $249. they didnt have any E-7 120s, i didnt ask if they usually carry them or not. they had some smaller ones there but i didnt even look at them because bigger is better :eyebrow:

The supply could be demographic. We dont have lots here in CT and the store claims they are not plentifull and they sell upon arrival.

Back
Top Bottom