tank manifold question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonniex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
the thread on these manifolds is 3.25"around
if i wanted to advertise on my ebay ad that they fit standard tanks how could i express that? do is say its a 3/4 thread or what exactly?

tankdoubles-1.jpg

why is it interested??? please be more specific

Jonniex,are you actually a diver? I checked your other posts and every one was asking for help identifying gear. Any chance you are just using this board to jumpstart an Ebay business??

To answer your question about the manifold: It is an antique. It will manifold 2 tanks together but it only has an outlet for 1 (yoke) reg. No redundancy whatsoever and a whole bunch of extra failure points. 1 large single tank would be safer than 2 smaller tanks with this manifold.

To answer your question about the manifold: It is an antique. It will manifold 2 tanks together but it only has an outlet for 1 (yoke) reg. No redundancy whatsoever and a whole bunch of extra failure points. 1 large single tank would be safer than 2 smaller tanks with this manifold.

I don’t recognize that valve, but it that looks like a fairly nice vintage valve.

Two smaller tanks will balance a lot better than one large single tank. And it brings the center of gravity of the tanks closer to you.

Those few extra failure points are extremely low probability of failure. The center manifold to tank fitting connection looks like brass metal to metal seal. If you get an initial decent seal they seldom leak and even if they leak it would never be catastrophic (it would just be a minute leak).

Heck, if you are really that concern about failure points, you should switch to a double hose regulator. That extra LP hose between the first and second stage adds 5 higher probability failure point. :wink:

Most Scuba gear is very safe. Even with the high parts count and high O-ring count on modern gear, it is still very safe.

In very few situations do you really need redundancy.

In any case:
IMHO, diving is not only about safety, it is about having fun.
Sometimes you need to live on the edge…if you are not living on the edge…you are taking too much space. :D

That may be so but I doubt you will find many divers that would do a cave dive with doubles held together with that manifold :D

That may be so but I doubt you will find many divers that would do a cave dive with doubles held together with that manifold :D

The world does not consist of only cave divers. That is a typical valve from the 70s or 60s. They were used as Luis states on smaller doubles because smaller doubles balance better and trim better than a large single which is important in the era before there were BCs.

BTW, before double outlet isolation manifolds existed we went into caves using independent doubles, not that type of manifold at all. As to failure prone, they are quite reliable for open water diving, I have never had any significant problems with them of any sort.

To the OP, the way you sell stuff like that on ebay is to just list it as a vintage doubles manifold. Anyone who wants it will know what it is.

N

Yeah... That is one of the rare situations that I was referring to in this statement:
"In very few situations do you really need redundancy."

Cave diving is a very small portion of Scuba diving.

Today if you mention doubles it is automaticly assumed that you do cave or tech diving. Such was not the case in the past.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom