Tank Holder for truck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdanks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone I am looking for tank holders for my truck its a nissan frontier with the utility track rails. I was hoping someone made some holders that would fit right in the rails thanks.

Save yourself some money.
I have a Mazda truck I use as my dedicated dive support vehicle :D
I just line up the tanks behind the cab, all standing vertically and strap them forward with a ratchet strap using the front tie downs. I can fit 5 tanks across the entire back of the cab or just two on one side and bungie them to the side in addition to the ratchet strap. When I secure them like this they are in there for good. I have seen a lot of other methods to transport tanks...some home made some store bought and none this secure. Save yourself some cash and try my method out.

I have a full size Ford and I tried straping a bunch of tanks to the front of the box like the last poster does, and even wrapped in a blanket, after a 5.5 hour drive from Ohio a whole lot of the galvanizing on the steel tanks got sheared off. Ouch! I'm now building a rack using a 2" x 12" that fits into the divider slots on the inner-sides of the box, and screwing boxes to that, that accommodates 7.25" and 8" tanks. Should work well I think!

This has worked well for me. First saw it at Buddy Dive on Bonaire and decided to copy it.

Get a 10' 2x4 and cut it into thirds (40"). Take two of the pieces and lay them flat parallel to each other. Use a scuba tank to determine how far apart the 2x4's should be (depth of the rack). Cut 5 lengths of 2x2" (for a 4 tank rack) to that length and screw one of them on top of the 2x4 at one end (I would tack another 2x2 at the other end of the 2x4 just to keep things square). Set a tank down so that it is tight to the 2x2 and use a second 2x2 wedged against the tank and mark its position. Screw the second 2x2 down and check to see that the tank is fits fairly tight between the 2x2's. Repeat the process for as wide as you want the rack. When you are done take the third 2x4 and screw it upright on the front of the rack to act as a backstop. Trim the excess length off the 2x4's to make it look neat. Takes about 30 minutes to build and costs less than $10.

Works great for 7 1/4 inch tanks and leaves me about 1/8" between tanks. If you are building the rack for larger diameter tanks then you will need to rip a 2x4 to get the right width of runner so that the tanks will not bang together.

I made this for my truck. Maybe some variation will work for you.
DSC04320_Small_.JPG

DSC04321_Small_.JPG

Thats a awesome tank rack but unfortunately I live in a apartment and have no where to weld anything. I think I will give the 2x4 method a try. I also saw a post on here for a pvc tank rack looks really good but after pricing all the pieces it was not cheap.

You should start selling those they look better then anything I have seen on the market lately. there used to be a place on ebay that sold really nice metal ones but I think they went out of business.

I was going to post a photo of my nasty looking 2x4 rack but after seeing yours, I would be ashamed to.

A lot of thought and effort when into the rack's design and combined with very good fabrication, without a doubt the best looking tank rack I have seen! Thanks for sharing!

I especially like the detail of the bolts fixing the rack to the bed.

You should start selling those they look better then anything I have seen on the market lately. there used to be a place on ebay that sold really nice metal ones but I think they went out of business.

I thought about it, then really thought about it.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom