Tank difference question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. The first sentence is a fragment. The second sentence is ambiguous. The third sentence is more concise.

So what is your actual question ?
Is there a difference between the Faber tanks marketed under the different brands.? XS scuba, Blue Steel, and Faber?

There is that any better?

Yes, that is better.

XS Scuba and Bue Steel are both importers/distributors of Faber cylinders in the USA. Each obtain the same physical cylinder but paint is different (XS - gray, BS - traditional white). Not with standing Faber also does a hot dipped galvanized version as well. The boot and valve are also different. Otherwise the cylinder will have the same size, weight, capacity, and buoyancy.

That said years ago OMS imported Faber cylinders (also gray). They call one cylinder an LP112 but Faber called it an LP108. Same cylinder but OMS said the capacity was different

If buying new, I'm not aware of another company besides Faber that sells steel scuba tanks?

At this point that is correct Faber is the only steel cylinder mfg. Though one might still find a new Worthington.

Yes. The first sentence is a fragment. The second sentence is ambiguous. The third sentence is more concise.

So what is your actual question ?

==> Ignore. OP is correct - you are ...

That said years ago OMS imported Faber cylinders (also gray). They call one cylinder an LP112 but Faber called it an LP108. Same cylinder but OMS said the capacity was different

There was also a ScubaPro branded Faber MP tank (3000#, 3300#+), with a ScubaPro right or left handed manifold valve. A buddy had a pair of 72's, I don't know if they made any other sizes. As much as I don't need another tank, I'd be tempted if I saw one for sale, cute little thing.

Bob

As far as NEW steel scuba cylinders, it's a Faber. Previously XS Scuba cylinders were Worthington, but they have left the scuba market.

OMS were Fabers with a different type and color of paint. Scuba Pro added a sticker or different color paint at times to Faber cylinders. Blue Steel is Faber.

PST, Worthington/XS Scuba were all hot dip galvanized and are a touch more negative.

Faber, and rebranded versions Scuba Pro and OMS were painted. These are closer to neutral when empty and tend to lighter on the bottoms.

So one LP95 is not always the same as a LP95 from someone else, but sometimes it is. Also, for example, a LP95 and a LP98 can be exactly the same (or not), just to mess with you.

There were several others going further back however...

There was also a ScubaPro branded Faber MP tank (3000#, 3300#+), with a ScubaPro right or left handed manifold valve. A buddy had a pair of 72's, I don't know if they made any other sizes. As much as I don't need another tank, I'd be tempted if I saw one for sale, cute little thing.

We had a pair of the MP72s did not like them compared to the LP66s. Especially when the LP66 are filled to 3000 psi. There are also SP branded LP76 and slim line LP72. We have set of the former. Similar form factor as the LP85.

I loved the LP66s, but could only get standard fills on them in the NE, so sold them off. For shorter divers that need lightweight doubles or SM, they are damn near perfect.

The MP72 is great as a single for those that need to take weight off of the belt. As doubles or SM they just weren't for me. They did work in SM when using heavy undergarments and a harness that doesn't easily add weight (basically anything but a X-deep). Tank removal/superman made you nosedive like a Valujet into the Everglades.

The Slimline 72s are sexy, long and skinny. I FINALLY found a pair after looking for 8yrs! I was disappointed at how negative they are. I need to play some more with them in Saltwater, doubled up, or with some Helium in the mix to see what I'll end up doing with them. Maybe a supermax version of the GUE-JJ style setup on my SF2??

The situation is greatly different in Europe.
Faber steel tanks are made in Italy.
Euro Cylinders ECS is the big steel SCUBA tank manufacturer in Germany.
IWKA and Mannesmann also made steel SCUBA Tanks in Germany. I don't know if Draeger makes their own tanks or has another company in Germany making them for Draeger.
Roth makes steel SCUBA Tanks in France.
Vitkovice Cylinders makes steel SCUBA Tanks in the Czech Republic
Other steel SCUBA Tanks are also made in England, Spain, Poland, the Ukrane and Russia.
Ashai in Japan also makes steel SCUBA Tanks and I have probably not mentioned another 20 manufacturers worldwide that I don't have any experience with

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom