Tank difference question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok in reality Faber tanks, XS scuba faber tanks, Blue Steel Faber tanks. Are they all the same? Given the tanks are the same size of course.

If they are new, then yes. Faber is the only company manufacturing steel scuba tanks and all others are resellers.

I have noticed that different brands offer different valve\color combinations, but the tanks are identical.

Well that’s kinda what I thought, but everyone says theirs is better lol

Just go with the cheapest one that serves your needs but make sure to include shipping and a fill when comparing cost to your LDS.

For me it was best online but for one of my tanks, the dive shop had a deal that gave them the better price.

my steel HP 100s are a couple inches shorter than some others I have seen. but they are not new.

If they are new, then yes. Faber is the only company manufacturing steel scuba tanks and all others are resellers.

I have noticed that different brands offer different valve\color combinations, but the tanks are identical.

The above is NOT correct. Often a cylinder from two different mfg may hold the same amount gas, for instance an LP 85. But the form factor (height and diameter) may be different. Further, the dry land weight may also be different. Finally, because of these differences the buoyancy may be different.

The above is NOT correct. Often a cylinder from two different mfg may hold the same amount gas, for instance an LP 85. But the form factor (height and diameter) may be different. Further, the dry land weight may also be different. Finally, because of these differences the buoyancy may be different.

Thanks for pointing that out. The differences in shape and weight are important to buoyancy. This is where a lot of discussion comes from when debating older tank manufacturers. If buying new, I'm not aware of another company besides Faber that sells steel scuba tanks?

I found this older thread on the topic:
Is faber the only Steel tank maker?

Did you read my original question?

Ok in reality Faber tanks, XS scuba faber tanks, Blue Steel Faber tanks. Are they all the same? Given the tanks are the same size of course.

I have a Blue Steel Faber HP100 that I bought used, and a XS Faber HP100 that I bought new from DGX. The valves are different, the markings are slightly different, the tank boots are different, but otherwise they appear identical.

Did you read my original question?

Yes. The first sentence is a fragment. The second sentence is ambiguous. The third sentence is more concise.

So what is your actual question ?

Back
Top Bottom