tank decorations???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crab lover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, I haven't seen this covered before, so I'm going to ask... I have a couple of HP steel tanks, galvanized, and would like to do some smaller stencils on it with acrylic craft paint to identify them as mine at a glance (ok, also to make them look neat). I tried the "tank skins" that are "supposed" to be ok for them (print on vinyl sheet that is shrinkwrapped on the tank with a hair dryer), but after just a month, I noticed that there were salt deposits under the shrinkwrapping. Believe me, I had that skin off of my precious tank asap. No bad damage, thank goodness. So yeah, is the craft paint ok in a small area as long as I keep an eye around the edges or is it a BADDDD idea?

I was thinking about the craft paint since it was not so permanent, cheap, and easily sandable and redo when I need to take it in. The boot is an idea! Only thing is that it is so far down on the tank, I kind of wanted to have something higher up... Thanks for the input!

crab lover:
I was thinking about the craft paint since it was not so permanent, cheap, and easily sandable and redo when I need to take it in. The boot is an idea! Only thing is that it is so far down on the tank, I kind of wanted to have something higher up... Thanks for the input!
Sanding tanks is bad. Get that out of your mind now... you'll destroy the galvanized finish.

Paint pens are safe to use on Galv. tanks, so I don't see why you couldn't use something similar. Make sure it's a thin layer... thicker paint could trap moisture.

I use paint pens to draw a quick design around the neck of my tanks, so I can spot them easily. Works quite well... just recently I loaned my tanks to a friend visiting from out of town. He took them to my LDS to have them filled, and they were just about to call me to find out if my tanks had been stolen!

HP100-IMG_1948-sm.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom