Tank cleaning and painting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemaster_jim:
Some will tell you to get them sand blasted, does give a nice finish too.

If you do this you may have to get them hydro'd before using them again...in fact, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

May I suggest....don't mess with it? There are guys out there that offer coarse and powerful blasting with real sand that will take the numbers off an aluminum tank. You could blast a hole right through it with some of their methods.

There are experts who do precision abrasive blasting and finishing work on aluminum. Many don't deal with retail customers. This work, done correctly, is expensive. The service is worth the money for classic car restoration, but would probably cost more than a new tank.

Chemical stripping is a noxious process involving poisonous chemicals. Wouldn't you rather watch basketball and have a beer?

This is a self-solving problem. Dive enough, and all the paint will wear off anyway.

This was such a common question that some time ago we combined all the multiple posts on cylinder stripping and painting into two notes that could be found if one put the absolute tiniest amount of effort into using the search function to see if the question had already been asked.

For AL cylinders: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=4181

For steel cylinders: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=7445

These are both huge threads, with absolute coverage of their respective topics. If you're seriously interested in refinishing your cylinders, read the entire note on the metal you're interested in -- there's a lot of good information in there.

Roak

Ps. The abosolute fastest way to get an answer on scubaboard is to search to see if your question has already been asked. If it has, you have the answer already.

wow everyone is so paranoid if you just scuff up the old paint use it as a primer and use cheap spray paint your not interdusing any heat and your not taking off an metal i stripped my wifes tank down and painted it for her. i wouldnt use any cemicals because some will react with the al. and it may strip off the coating on a steel tank tht keeps it from rusting but if you just scuff and spry you wont have any problems as for fill stations that wont fill them, they are out of there minds and dont want your business i fill my own tanks and have never had a problem even with blending. dont strip all the original coating. this will not last al long as the original paint but its cheap and easy to touch up. and you dont need to re hydro test because you are not messing with the integrity of the tank at all. but in all reality you dont have to look pretty for the fish they dont care lol and most people out there have mest up paint i have yet to see a tech diver with maching pretty gear mine dont but cant blame anyone for wanting it

Stu S.:
May I suggest....don't mess with it? There are guys out there that offer coarse and powerful blasting with real sand that will take the numbers off an aluminum tank. You could blast a hole right through it with some of their methods.

There are experts who do precision abrasive blasting and finishing work on aluminum. Many don't deal with retail customers. This work, done correctly, is expensive. The service is worth the money for classic car restoration, but would probably cost more than a new tank.

Chemical stripping is a noxious process involving poisonous chemicals. Wouldn't you rather watch basketball and have a beer?

This is a self-solving problem. Dive enough, and all the paint will wear off anyway.

I know of a guy that does it for the local shop here for $5/tank. It doesn't have to be expensive.

Refinishing is futile.

Stu S.:
Actually, if I were forced at gunpoint to choose between those options, removing the paint would win by a nautical mile. :D

(I happen to like the "old paint" look... but I'm wacko. :D)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom