Tank bands for stages (yes or no)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

Well for tank mount you can always remove the scuba unit then remove the bottle.

I will never be using mits, or any of the dry gloves. Ocassionaly will be using 'reef gloves' and most of the time using bare. Like I hinted at the bottle will be used as a deco/stage/pony/primary at diffferent times depending. So I need something that can be easily changed.

From my original post I was asking for various type of bands that's out there and the pro's and con's of each.

Ed

Originally posted by blacknet
Hello,

Well for tank mount you can always remove the scuba unit then remove the bottle.

Trickier and riskier if your "scuba unit" (as you say), is weight integrated.

Blacknet,

Did I read your post right? Are you really advocating a pony bottle system that would require you to remove your bc in order to free yourself from entanglement or to hand off your pony to a OOA diver?

Please reread ID and omar's above posts and reconsider your choice. Now I am by no means even close to the most experienced diver on this board (a few here have been diving longer than I've been alive) but even I can see many flaws in such a system. What if you are entangled in such a way that taking off your bc isn't option, what then? What if your metal to metal connection becomes jammed, how do you remove your pony then? Removal of your bcd while underwater is not something most divers look forward to in the best conditions not to mention in some type of emergency situation. Personally I'd want several options before trying to remove critical equipment like a bcd. Additionally, where do you stow the 2nd stage and can you restow it as needed? Can you reach your pony's 1st stage to turn the pony on and off? How does your system allow you to deal with a pony freeflow?

As I said on another thread, I think the best way to carry a pony is rigged as a DIR stage. This has the additonal advantage that this rigging will carry through to stage bottle, something a metal to metal (ie Tiger Gear, I think that is the name of the company). As well as being much cheaper.

Also a stage/deco bottle is not the same thing as a pony bottle and unless you use "DIR type" rigging you will have to use a different type of rigging for stages.

How do you know you will never use mitts or dry gloves? I dive mostly in Texas and it is not that uncommon to see peole diving dry, especially in the late fall, winter, and early spring. Furthermore, how robust a system are you looking at if it can be rendered useless by the wrong style or thickness of gloves?

Pony bottles are intended to add an additional measure of safety to one's diving and to certain degree they do when used right. However more complication and failure points do not make for safer diving. Task overloading is a prime reason for diving accidents, don't make your system any more complicated than absolutely neccessary.

Dive safe,
svs3

P.S. As to your original question, I'm not sure there is any pony bottle "tank band" system that is as simple, robust, reliable, and cheap as DIR stage bottle rigging for carrying a pony bottle.

I am surprised that I didn’t catch on earlier.

Mr. Street you would be better ADVISED to check the techdiver archives (which I know you are familiar with) on the pros and cons of stage bottle rigging. As far as pony bottles I listed the advantages and disadvantages of same in another thread, and only can add that in my opinion they are not a wise choice.

I certainly hope that you are not here to provide the same level of uninformed drivel that you have on other forums and would encourage you to do a little research before you make similar posts.

omar

Hello,

I guess for the sake of argument that this thread should be terminated. I thank everyone for their comments.

Sorry but that 'list' is seriously biased towards one view point and any mention of anything that goes against their viewpoint/stance is met with extreme hostility.

Ed

Omar,

Is the same Ed as in "WTF is Ed" on Techdiver.
The same Ed that was run off for making "unintelligent" comments? (He's trying it here)
The same Ed that was compared to MJB?

I am not sure, but all the indicators are there.

ID

Don,

Yes it is the one and the same.
You should do search on Ed Street (as author) to see some of the stuff he wrote. The most hilarious was the proper use of advice and advise. (That is why I capitalized it in my response to show him how it was used.)

omar

Back
Top Bottom