Tank bands for stages (yes or no)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking at different ways to attach my stage (pony/deco/stage/etc..) to my rig and I think i'll opt for the hip placment. Was wondering if it would be worth while to get one of those tank bands w/ an eye and a clip. One person said NO cause they can't be cut off in an emergency and one person said YES because it's a connection I don't need to maintain.

Ed

What is more important...

Saving yourself some time by eliminating some maintenance work that is done on the surface in good conditions

OR

Being able to extricate yourself from a potentially lethal jam while you are under water.

It is a no brainer for me.

omar

Hello,

Can you name one person who's died because they used the metal tank bands?

Ed

I don't want to be the first either.

Omar was describing one of the principals of DIR equipment configuration, "NO METAL TO METAL CONNECTIONS". These are done for the reasons he stated above. Whether you follow these guidelines or not is up to you. But you asked.

I am not sure why you asked the question if you already had made up your mind.

Let's try to keep things civil guys.

ID

jeeeeeeeeeeeez Don,

I only got the pilot light lit on the flame thrower.

And notice it wasn't even a gue or wkpp url

omar

Hello,

No I have NOT bough ANY bands yet, nor do I plan on it untill I decide how I want to do it.

Ed

Hello,

OR should I just opt for the tank mount and strap it to my regular tank? Lets hear some pro's and con's about these various different ways.

Ed

Blacknet,

Personally I don't attach anything I can't get rid of quickly in an emergency. Either break away or cut away.

Several factors come into play if you use the ring and snap bolts, easy if you are bare-handed, more difficult if wearing reef gloves, and even more difficult if you are wearing 5 mil gloves and damned near impossible if you are wearing mitts. With the "other" method release is the same in all conditions. Also the snap bolts could becomed jammed from salt deposits or dirt or sediment. (still have to maintain it) and if so you can't get rid of it if you need to.

DECO/STAGE/PONY/etc...all different and require different configurations. What type of diving are you doing?

Mount in on your other tank. Can you reach the release if you have to get rid of it?

These are the reasons for not using the rings and snap bolts.

If you are comfortable with them, then that is how you should do it. If you stop and think about the above you will see and it all makes sense.

But you asked.

Try not to get upset when you ask for pros and cons, all will not agree with your views or opinions. This I know first hand.

ID

Back
Top Bottom