Tampa Bay Area Divers, Part 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogman_5

Contributor
Reaction score
Move our thread, will ya?:pcangry:

We'll just start a new one!!!

Let's see what's on the agenda???

Narcosis boat trip Sat, May 13th.

Narcosis planning a lobster trip July 26th.

Walter organizing a trip out to the Fantasico.

And the Wake should be free for a trip out on Sun. May 21.

And just because I started this thread by mentioning a few trips, don't move it or so help me I'll reach right through this monitor and flog you with a rubber chicken!!!:chicken:

AHHHHH....the anciet chinese torture weapon...the ruuuuuber chicken!! :D

My, a possible trip on the 21st....put me in coach!!!

We don't have coach class, but we can put you in the bilge!:D

Just as long as I don't have to sit next to MissD, I heard she bites. :D

Here is what I have for Invade the Keys... (Jenny called this morning and confirmed)

2/2 Condo with TheCaptain and another person

Friday PM: with Quiescence
Molasses

Friday Night: with RVII
Duane

Saturday AM: with Quiescence
Spiegel/Benwood

Saturday PM: with BlueWater
Spiegel/French

Thank goodness, I'll be Nitrox by then

Sunday...
drag butt

I'm in for the 21st... can we dive to 80' ? I need one more 80' or better to qualify... lmfao... :14:

frogman_5:
. . .

Narcosis boat trip Sat, May 13th.

Narcosis planning a lobster trip July 26th.

Walter organizing a trip out to the Fantasico.

And the Wake should be free for a trip out on Sun. May 21.

I confirm my real interest for May 13th, July 26th and May 21, if there is still a place for me, I'd take it.
For the Fantastico, uhm. . . , let me see where it is, I'm looking forward to diving again with Walter!
. . . Ok, it at driving distance, I'd dive also
there, they told me is a must for the Mexico Gulf.
D.
These times I won't have the Speedo, promised!

Date: May 09, 2006
Time: 9:00 AM
Place: Veteran's Reef
Boat: N@rco$i$' "Striper"
Divers: N@rco$i$, Missdirected & CoolTech
---
After the storm passed this morning, we met Dave at the boat launch, loaded the gear and headed out to Veteran's Reef (35'-45')

The remains of the weather made the seas somewhat choppy, but nothing we couldn't handle.

Once on location, Tracy set the anchor and we began to don gear. Due to 10 knot winds, we decided that two would dive and one would remain on the boat.

I have never been to Veteran's Reef, so Dave and I geared up for our decent. As we donned our fins, I realized one of the fins I had placed on the floor of the boat was missing (It WAS there when we began to don our gear)... and, I began to eye Tracy as a suspect (kidding). This seemed odd, Greg wasn't on this dive (inside joke for 6 people who know). Tracy loaned me her fins for the dive, and we were off.

Vis was top-to-bottom and running about 60'. It was VERY good for this close to shore. We could also see bottom from onboard the Striper.

Dave was a good guide for the area. Veteran's Reef is a series of scuttled barge remains from several barges with additional pyramid shaped metal objects, making the entire site difficult to see entirely in one dive (always the sign of a good reef dive). I chose not to carry my camera for this dive, but Dave brought his, so there may be some good pictures. Fish life included numerous Barracuda, baby Hogs, Angels, Snapper and some baby Goliath Grouper. We surfaced without incident (and I found my way back to the boat without overshooting it)

Based on our position relative to Veteran's Reef maker bouy, I estimated the time/current it would take for my fin to reach the bottom (I also know my fins are fairly heavy that way, and sink faster than most). Once Dave guided us around to the marker bouy, I took a small swim in the direction I suspected a runaway fin would head if it were attempting to escape, found it, tucked it safely away... and scolded it when we got back onboard the boat.

In all, I would recommend this site for all to enjoy. The wrecks offers easy penetration for inexperienced divers with multiple exits in view with easy access. (perhaps a night dive site)

I had an extra good fill before entering the first dive, so Dave remained on board and I went down with Tracy on the second dive. I wanted to give her as much time on the dive as possible, and basically hovered several feet above to conserve some of my air, and allow her more time. Our anchor was set between two barges that had enough nooks and crannies to take an entire dive investigating. When it was time for me to surface, Tracy remained near the anchor and investigated the rest of her dive.

Dave had a previous appointment setup, so we headed back in after Tracy was safely on board. We arrived at the dock just after 1:00 PM.
====
It was nice to dive with MissD again, meet N@rco$i$, and his boat is very accomodating. Thank you both, for another wonderful SB induced day!:14:

--- End of Line --- (MCP from TRON)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom