Tallahassee info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ADP has a website:
www.adp.fsu.edu

The FSU recreational diving website (Seminole Scuba Club) moved. It's now:
www.seminolescubaclub.com

My wife and I usually head to Panama City or Destin for ocean dives. Charters run in the $50-60 range for a two-tank trip within 6 miles of shore (no gear). Rates of course go up the further you go from shore. Unlike Okinawa, good shore diving in Florida is a rarity. The only one I can think of in the Tallahassee area would be the jetties at St. Andrews State Park in Panama City, which depending on conditions can be an ok dive, or a terrible dive.

Most of the freshwater springs and sinks in the immediate vicinity of Tallahassee are closed to recreational diving, but there are some nice sites within a couple hours drive (Troy and Manatee to the east, Morrison, Vortex and Cypress to the west, etc.). Big Blue Spring on the Wacissa River is a nice dive that dosen't cost anything (except for the canoe rental) and it's only about 20-30 minutes from the FSU campus.

OK Sweet. Why are the springs closed? Have people died there or something?
How about Lake Jackson? Is it full again?

This is my understanding about why the sinks and springs south of Tallahassee are closed. Most of them are on land owned by St. Joe Corporation (the paper and now real estate behemoth), which started leasing out tracts of land to various organizations and individuals which then closed access to the sinks and springs. I'm sure it didn't help that an OW diver died in the cave system running out of Emerald Sink (which was a wonderful OW dive) in 2000 or 2001. The land surrounding Cherokee Sink is now owned by Wakulla Spgs State Park, and they've closed it to recreational diving.

If you don't already have it, when you get here, you should get a copy of "Diving Guide to Underwater Florida" by Ned Deloach. It's about $20 and you can get it at any diveshop or decent bookstore. It gives locations and descriptions for 600 salt and freshwater dives throughout the entire state.

Well, I think Cherokee is still open, actually. I forgot about Wacissa though, which is a nice dive, except can only get to it by canoe. As for closed sinks, springs, there are enviromental and economical concerns too I guess. Tourism and such in Wakulla springs. Really sucks...20mins from me.

Does lake Jackson have any water in it?

When I moved, it'd been dry for a year or so. I'd be an awful shallow dive(6"), if it hasn't changed :D

Hey folks,

Well the time is getting closer (for me moving over there). Im nervous about the move and getting a job to pay for diving. Any updates on the diving scene? Guys I will contact you all once I get there, Im gonna be hurting for dive buds since I dont know anyone over there.

My gear is SP Apeks and Halcyon wich shop servises tha? Do they have a web site?

WaterDawg:
Hey folks,
Well the time is getting closer (for me moving over there).

Just wanted to extend a warm Tallahassee Welcome to y'all! I think you will really like it here, especially after you settle in and begin to learn of all the great outdoor things there are to do, and cultural stuff too if you are so-inclined.

I am interested in your interest in ADP, as I love that program myself: I got certified through it, and I feel it is excellent training. They have a great staff!

I am still in the early stages of diving, but I aim to learn a lot. Maybe one day we'll dive together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom