Tallahassee info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDawg

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

Im originally from Miami, but now live in Okinawa Jp, I'll be moving to Tallahassee next yr and wanted some info on the dive shops, # of people who dive, etc.

I love diving here on Okinawa. I just started last OCT, but the diving here is frequent. I also have a diving site/forum and would like to continue it over there. please help me!

I live there. EMail when you get here, we'll go diving. jviehe@comcast.net. Dive shops would be Blue Water Scuba (PADI shop, with a GUE guy whos real knowledgable, lotta cave gear). COral reef (SSI shop), and Down Under, south of Tally. Best OW diving is in Panama City, 2 hours west, nice deep wrecks. Great spearfishing off St. Marks south of Tally about 30 mins. We also have some sinkholes near town, if you have a low viz cerification, or are in WKPP. Of course N.FL is known for its cave country, both west of Tally in Marianna, or near Gainsville with Devils and Peacock systems. Very good variety from here, and lots of places hardly anyone has dove. I'm tyring to collect all this info on my site, http://northfloridadiver.net, but havnt put much work into it yet.

Yep, I'm here in Tallahassee as well. Ditto on what jviehe said. :wink: :wink:

Tom

We should dive sometime then. I'm off to the keys next weekend, but after that I'm free on saturdays usually. If only Wakulla Spring was public...

My wife and I are grad students at FSU and are also pretty active divers. I got certified on Okinawa, too, and I've been thinking about taking a trip back there. I haven't been there in about seven years, so I'd love to talk to someone who knows the diving scene there right now. Email me at aihfl@earthlink.net or aih02@fsu.edu.

Hey,

Thanks for the info, I think I will also have to find another hobby to make for the dives I'll be missing there.

Can anyone dive in Wakulla springs (not the Cave)?
whats the water temp in the winter/fall over there, Should I get A 5 or 7mill??

No. Unless you have a special research permit or dive with FSU ADP you can not dive Wakulla Springs, OW or Cave. Cave start at 130+, FYI. I'm working on trying to get it open again, since i live 20 mins form it, and it really sucks that I can't dive it. Spring are usually 72F year around, so a short 5mm is sufficient, unless you are prone to getting coold, in which case a 2 piece is fine.

I have been reading about the FSU ADP and that is one of the reasons I chose to move to Tallahassee! 72F is a bit chilly in the summer but nice in the winter!

So is it mostly fresh water diving?? how about cost to get into other springs and such? Or air fill and Nitrox fills?

Diving here has really spoiled me!

Sate parks are usually 5-10 bucks to get in, private dive parks $25. There are some free springs as well. Fills are usually $4 for air, $8 for nitrox. Plenty of ocean diving off Panama City, with great wrecks, and spearfishing off stmarks.

Thanks, thats good info! Diving is gonna get expensive I see.
Im planning on attending FSU's ADP anyone have info on that???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom