Talc vs KY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KY does work great but just a little is all you need. The only hard part is buying it...no matter how much of a "who gives a damn, I don't care what anyone thinks" attitude you have, it's always a bit awkward when you plunk it down. It's better if you do it like that scene in American Graffitti..." I'll have a comb, some candy, and bottle of Old Harper, some KY, a Coke and some shaving cream. :)

Before you jump on me I was just kidding. :)

If we can get this topic back on topic, great. If I see any more references to people's anatomy, parentage, or other digressions, I'll just close it.

Good grief ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As Boogie mentioned, sometimes the latex gets a little sticky. If you try to tug the sticky seal over the ears or schnoz anyway, you are likely to rip it and there goes the dive. Another reason I lube my neck seal is to reduce irritation. If I'm doing a lot of diving and don't use lube, my poor neck looks like I tried to hang myself!! Gets some interesting looks, though :11:
The non-divers assume the worst while the divers laugh and ask where I went diving :D

CALI68:
The only hard part is buying it...no matter how much of a "who gives a damn, I don't care what anyone thinks" attitude you have, it's always a bit awkward when you plunk it down.

I just have fun with it. It's all about selective shopping with the main intent on horrifying the little highschool girl behind the counter. A little soda, some juice, a package of medical tape, some sleeping pills, the KY... walk up to the counter.. glance around. "OOH! How much for that mary poppins tape?!"

--

I've watched folks with the DUI seals that have absolutely no problems getting their seals on. But I've also looked close at the DUI seals vs. my Bare seals. They are -definately- thicker. Another, more important, point is that the proportion of wrist size to hand size varies in everyone. Those that have small hands and big wrists [Billy the Kid was rumored to be able to slide out of handcuffs just do to the big wrists and small hands] won't have any trouble with wrist seals; but those with big hands and small wrists are going to need a little help.

Why would I waste my time, and risk my seals, just to fight into them? In the winter, on the first dive, I don't need anything. But I do getting out of them after a dive, and getting into them on a subsequent dive.

Since the biggest need I have is getting out of them post dive, I use KY. talc just gets gummy when wet. I also know of at least one diver who had a problem with a dump valve after getting clogged up with talc dust over time.

Questions: If I don't use any lube I get a friction burn on my neck, especially the adam's apple. So I tried KY and ended up getting a really bad burn on my adam's apple. So my questions are: 1) would a band-aid on my adam's apple help or be a leak point?, 2) should I be pulling my latex neck seal lower so it rests below my adam's apple? (If this is possible).

Cheers,
Bill.

Well it looks like if you have tiny wrists that is the whole issue. Otherwise you can cut your seals to comfortably slip over your hands without talc etc.

Spectre:
Why would I waste my time, and risk my seals, just to fight into them? In the winter, on the first dive, I don't need anything. But I do getting out of them after a dive, and getting into them on a subsequent dive.

I definitely have the big hands, smaller wrist problem.

So Jeff, how do you use KY to help you get OUT of your seals?

-Chris

CALI68:
KY does work great but just a little is all you need. The only hard part is buying it...no matter how much of a "who gives a damn, I don't care what anyone thinks" attitude you have, it's always a bit awkward when you plunk it down. It's better if you do it like that scene in American Graffitti..." I'll have a comb, some candy, and bottle of Old Harper, some KY, a Coke and some shaving cream.
I am not a big fan of wal-mart and regard them as a killer of home town businesses everywhere. But...for buying K-Y there is nothing better than the self checkout counter at wal-mart.

----

d33ps1x:
To be honest I've never had a problem getting in and out of a latex seal that was properly trimmed without the use of either lube or talc. First dive, second dive, or tenth dive.

That's including the fact that I went with the military grade seals on my latest suit.
There is no question of whether it is possible to get in and out of latex seals without talc or K-Y as it obviously is and I am sure most K-Y or talc users have on occasion found themselves at the dive site without it.

But in my opinion using talc or K-Y puts much less strain on the seals and they will last longer. (I routinely got about 5 seasaons with anywhere from 50 to 100 dives per season out of each set of latex seals.) Plus the most likely time to tear a seal is when donning the suit and using talc or K-Y makes this much less likely which means at some point you are going to get to dive when you otherwise would not, military grade seals or not. I used to use talc but switched to K-Y when I switched to a very snug set of skin in neoprene seals as it works better in that application.

I use both talc and KY. I use the talc in the little bag for dusting my seals to get into my drysuit. After the dive I put a dab of KY on my finger and run it around under my wrist seals to make it easier to get them off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom