Taking off the grate to explore the Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I hope they leave that stupid elbow off and just put the grate back...

CAVE-EXPLORING SCUBA TEAM TO DIVE INTO A NEW MEXICO MYSTERY
SANTA ROSA, N.M., Sept. 11, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- On September 14th, 2013, 81 feet below the surface of Santa Rosa's Blue Hole, specialized divers will quite literally open a door on a mystery.

In 1976 a New Mexico State Police dive team diagramed a maze of caves at Blue Hole that go at least 225 feet deep. For safety the access to that mysterious cave system has had a locked grate blocking divers for decades. But the ADM Exploration Foundation reached an agreement with the city to open that grate, and send research scuba divers into the unexplored depths. The dive team is equipped to go as deep as 350 feet, and nearly a mile from the cave entrance if the underwater passages allow.

If the divers find there are more caves to explore and research to conduct than the five day adventure allows they might plan a return trip with even more extensive dive equipment. In addition to exploration and research, the ADM Exploration Foundation is hoping to gather materials from Blue Hole for a documentary to air on Discovery, National Geographic, or similar outlet.

The ADM (Advanced Diver Magazine) Exploration Foundation has discovered, explored, and documented thousands of cave systems throughout North, Central, and South America. ADM team members hold the highest levels of underwater cave training with a minimum of 15 to 25 years of experience. Each member has been handpicked by Curt Bowen, team coordinator, for their specific expertise, which includes, but is not limited to cave biology, survey, photography, cinematography, equipment, logistics, and multimedia. To date, the ADM team currently holds exploration records for the two deepest and longest underwater caves within North America with depths in excess of 450 feet and linear passages of over seven miles.

The Blue Hole will remain open for scuba diving and open to the visiting public during the September 12th through 19th exploratory project. Restrictions, if any are needed during the course of the project, will be posted or announced by City of Santa Rosa personnel in advance.

The exploration is a one-time event and cave diving will not become an ongoing practice at the Blue Hole. The Blue Hole is a Santa Rosa city park and the entrance to the cave system has been sealed since the recovery of the bodies of two Oklahoma State University divers who were lost in the underwater caverns. For a time during the search the bodies were feared lost forever.

For more information on the project:

www.admfoundation.org/projects/santarosa
www.santarosanm.org
www.srnm.org
www.admfoundation.org
www.newmexico.org
Photos accompanying this release are available at:
http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=20884
http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=20885

Excited to see how much they map out. Even better if they could make a nice 3D computer rendering of the network. Talk about a cool thing to be able to show to students!

I see the pictures from our own SB member RobinT in the article, pretty cool!

The exploration is a one-time event and cave diving will not become an ongoing practice at the Blue Hole.
:(
That's to bad but understandable.

I look forward to reading ADM's report and seeing more images..

Curt's team does some amazing stuff. I'm looking forward to a well-written report with great photographs.

:(
That's to bad but understandable.
I remember when it was shut down. I believe two divers went into the hole on the anniversary of the death of previous divers who had entered unprepared and not returned. These divers did not return either because they were untrained. As I recall that sealed the decision to put the grate over the opening. It's been closed since the 70's.

I wonder if this group of trained explorers will make it to Carlsbad caverns?:D

For those who don't know, Curt Bowen is not exactly a nobody in cave diving. I am glad someone of that stature is leading this project.

I've been to that grate. It wasn't that great.

I know that was a joke, but anyone who has brought a flashlight into the Blue Hole has looked into the grate and seen a little. When I went there with my new and very powerful cave light, the difference was amazing. You can clearly see that there is an extensive cave system beyond it.

Back
Top Bottom