Taking off the grate to explore the Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if they will prohibit jumping from the cliffs while the team is diving. I have been at the grate while the "jumpers" are active, and actually felt shock waves from people jumping into the water above. And haven't we all noticed more "slides" along the walls and cave-ins at the grate entrance since all the jumping activity started becoming more frequent?

Personally, I'd be nervous to enter tat cave system myself. I don't think they are very stable. But if someone else is willing to take the chance, I'll be eager to learn what they discover.

Personally, I'd be nervous to enter tat cave system myself. I don't think they are very stable. But if someone else is willing to take the chance, I'll be eager to learn what they discover.

I would love to be part of that team, but I am well aware that I do not have the qualifications for it. They are planning a very serious exploration, which requires a team of very experienced divers.

I've been to that grate. It wasn't that great.
I'm sure it is the " What & Where " beyond the grate. I truly doubt that they will be able to explore even 10% of the system. But they might come up at another " secret " site.

We also dive another sink hole nearby, at Rock Lake. That is about 300 feet deep. I assume there is a connection. That one is so big and dark we can't even figure out where the water comes in. I have never been to the bottom because since I have been certified to go that deep, I have not been able to schedule a time to go there with anyone else who is certified to go that deep.

I'm sure it is the " What & Where " beyond the grate. I truly doubt that they will be able to explore even 10% of the system. But they might come up at another " secret " site.

Any reason why they will be limited to <10% (or is it simply because they are not using scubapro gear)?

Looking forward to Sanctum II.

best wishes to the team and hope they publish lots of pics/vids.

I spent a week with Curt Bowen at Browning Pass a couple of years ago. A more unassuming, softer-spoken man you could not hope to meet. His team is experienced and skilled, and well versed in exploration projects in very deep caves. If there are things there to find, they will do a good job of it.

And even more, they will write it up beautifully, with lovely photographs.

Back
Top Bottom