Say goodbye to the "Snorkel" at Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice work! I am glad something like this finally got done. It should be a real benefit to the entire environment.

I am going to disagree with some of your history. I first dived at the Blue Hole in 2004, and the snorkel was on it then. The only time I ever saw it off was when we took it off to get into the cave.

The grate was put in on the earlier ADM work. When we were done with the body recovery, we put the two pieces of grate back on it, replaced the snorkel, and piled some stones around, but we didn't do the best job in the world. Our hearts were not in it, to be honest. We had opened the hole so much it did not fit well any more.

I am going to disagree with some of your history. I first dived at the Blue Hole in 2004, and the snorkel was on it then. The only time I ever saw it off was when we took it off to get into the cave.

The grate was put in on the earlier ADM work. When we were done with the body recovery, we put the two pieces of grate back on it, replaced the snorkel, and piled some stones around, but we didn't do the best job in the world. Our hearts were not in it, to be honest. We had opened the hole so much it did not fit well any more.
I'll update the post. IIRC, when I first dived it (2000) there was no snorkel, but I'm not sure when the snorkel arrived. . .

Unfortunately, Santa Rosa doesn't have much in the way of records.

I recall seeing a post somewhere (here?) regarding the date the snorkel was installed, but I can't seem to find it now.

I enjoyed the much-improved view through the grate this weekend - thanks for the "upgrate".

I enjoyed the much-improved view through the grate this weekend - thanks for the "upgrate".
You're welcome. My next project is to get the city to bore out the entrance to the cave, opening access down to the next restriction. . .

You're welcome. My next project is to get the city to bore out the entrance to the cave, opening access down to the next restriction. . .
Why?

It isn't much of a cave to that point. It does widen out a bit once you are past that first 10-15 feet, and then it slopes sharply. There's a lot of loose rock and silt in there. You have room for 2-3 people going about 50 feet before turning around at the restriction. You would want to limit entry to qualified people.

Why?

It isn't much of a cave to that point. It does widen out a bit once you are past that first 10-15 feet, and then it slopes sharply. There's a lot of loose rock and silt in there. You have room for 2-3 people going about 50 feet before turning around at the restriction. You would want to limit entry to qualified people.
I'd like to see them open it wide, so it isn't an overhead.

Rock Lake's been problematic and on the "this may be the last time I dive this" list for many of us, it would be good for Santa Rosa too. Lots of divers would go back to see the changes, pumping money into the economy. It would take away the attractive nuisance that is the cave entrance - everything I've read (and what we discussed) indicates that the next restriction is very narrow, and below recreational depths, so controlling the idiots who insisted on going into the cave when it was open might be a bit easier.

That, and I've have easy access to a place to teach ANDP, and at least 10' of depth where I could hang out without some shop's divers kneeling on the bottom. :)

I'd like to see them open it wide, so it isn't an overhead.

Rock Lake's been problematic and on the "this may be the last time I dive this" list for many of us, it would be good for Santa Rosa too. Lots of divers would go back to see the changes, pumping money into the economy. It would take away the attractive nuisance that is the cave entrance - everything I've read (and what we discussed) indicates that the next restriction is very narrow, and below recreational depths, so controlling the idiots who insisted on going into the cave when it was open might be a bit easier.

That, and I've have easy access to a place to teach ANDP, and at least 10' of depth where I could hang out without some shop's divers kneeling on the bottom. :)
That sounds like a big job.

The existing cave opening is the remaining gap between the wall and the debris cone left from the collapse that formed the sink hole. There is thus actually a slope from about 65 feet (going from memory) to the 85 feet at the cave opening. Opening it up to the degree you describe would take the opening up that slope.

Back
Top Bottom