taking nitrox cert with basic scuba course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
AFAIK you need an OW cert to take a nitrox course..

Not true and I already posted the link to prove it.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This off-topic side discussion has been split off from a thread bout a specific dive op's policy in Cozumel. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed it. Kind of bizarre. I guess their intent must be so that divers can come out of OW with both OW and nitrox. I wonder though if it's possible for a diver to get the nitrox card without finishing the open water class. I checked, NAUI has the exact same requirements listed, so SDI/TDI aren't the only ones who'll let an uncertified diver take a nitrox class. It doesn't say they'll issue a nitrox card to someone who doesn't complete OW though. I find it hard to believe that any instructor, or either agency wold actually issue the nitrox card in such a situation. Seems reasonable to me to allow a junior ow diver to take nitrox. Heck they're already limited to depths that are safe for 40% in theory, aren't they?

I can confirm from many dives with my buddy that operators in Florida and Mexico do take that nitrox card as proof of certification. The only one who ever batted an eye was Ginnie Springs. However, the salesgirl talked to a manager who said it was okay.

I missed it. Kind of bizarre. I guess their intent must be so that divers can come out of OW with both OW and nitrox. I wonder though if it's possible for a diver to get the nitrox card without finishing the open water class.

I only read the actual PDF of the course standards and guidelines for SDI. It says that the instructor MUST issue the cert upon successful completion of the course requirements. There is no requirement mentioned for having or completing OW or doing any dives.

Imagine: Person goes into shop and says "hey, I am going to Coz in a month and I want to learn to scuba dive." They get signed up to do eLearning and pool work, with a plan to do referral dives in Coz to complete their OW. A week later, they come back and say "hey, I read on ScubaBoard that Nitrox is really a good idea. I want to knock that out before I go." They do the classroom session at the shop, get their Nitrox card and head off to Coz with nothing but pool work under their belt.

Meanwhile, they read on ScubaBoard that they can dive just by showing a Nitrox card and they decide they don't want to waste vacation time or money doing referral dives when they could be out doing the "cool" dives like everyone else.

Or maybe they think "hmmm, my referral dives aren't scheduled until day after tomorrow. But, I just met these cool people and they're going on a dive tomorrow that sounds really cool. I did the pool and that was easy. I'll just use my Nitrox card to get on the boat tomorrow and then still do my referral dives the next day as scheduled. I'll be fine and nobody will ever know the difference."

https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/uploads/files/sandp/currentYear/SDI/part 3/pdf/individual/SDI Specialty Standards_09_Computer_Nitrox_Diver.pdf

Last edited:
AFAIK you need an OW cert to take a nitrox course...

In the PADI world, Open Water students can take the Enriched Air Specialty concurrent with their OW training.

ps. Like I said before, do I think it actually happens? No. Probably not. But, if I were running a dive operation, would I feel like I met legal and insurance company requirements if I accepted someone's Nitrox card as proof of an OW certification? No.

It's definitely a bad practice. I'm disappointed. At least three of the major agencies in the US allow it. I wouldn't be surprised if most or all did.

It's definitely a bad practice. I'm disappointed. At least three of the major agencies in the US allow it. I wouldn't be surprised if most or all did.

I don't see a problem with it. The only problem I see is if there are shops or operators who are accepting a Nitrox card as proof of anything other than Nitrox certification. They are assuming a person is certified to dive based on a card that requires no dives to get!

I don't see a problem with it. The only problem I see is if there are shops or operators who are accepting a Nitrox card as proof of anything other than Nitrox certification. They are assuming a person is certified to dive based on a card that requires no dives to get!
I guess you're right. If it ever becomes a problem for my buddy I guess he would have to get an aow card or maybe could get buy with one of the lame specialty cards from another agency than naui that would be cheaper.

It's a common practice, kinda like giving an AOW card to a person who is anything but.....

Stuart, you can TAKE the Nitrox course concurrently with the OW course, but the Nitrox card will not be issued until the OW cert is issued.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom