Tahiti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ILC

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have any first hand experience on Tahiti’s weather during the month of January? I am trying to plan my honeymoon (getting married January 1) and we both really like Bora Bora lagoon resort. The only two problems are the length of the flight and lag (coming from central U.S.), and the weather. We hear this is Tahiti’s rainy season. Is this true? What exactly composes their rainy season…rain all day or nightly showers?

Oh, and to relate the topic to this board, can anyone suggest any good, local, dive charters from there?

ILC

I got this info from www.thetahititraveler.com: The humid season -also called Rainy season- starts in November and ends in March. It brings mugginess, humidity as well as heavier and more frequent rains than in the dry season. During that season, tropical storms may occur. Winds can reach speeds of over 220 km/h and can eventually evolve to a cyclone, an extremely rare event though. French Polynesia was touched lastly by cyclones at the beginning of the 90’s after having been hit 6 consecutives times in 1982-1983 (this had not happen since 1906 !). These cyclonic events are due to a well know phenomenon called “El Nino”.

I went to Tahiti for my honeymoon in July 2001. We booked our trip through Islands in the Sun (www.islandsinthesun.com). Our package included several excursions such as swimming with black tip reef sharks and sting rays. I'm sure your travel agent could help you find a dive charter. Also check your local book store. I know Amazon has books on diving in Tahiti. Unfortunately, we just began our adventures in scuba diving this year, so we didn't do any diving while in Tahiti - sorry can't help you there.

But i can tell you it was the greatest trip of my life. We spent half the time on Bora Bora and the rest on Moorea. One word of advice be VERY careful what you eat and drink!! Their methods and standards of cleaning and preparing food are different than those in the U.S. I got sick on the last day of our trip. Although a lot of my problems stem from gallbladder disease (which has now been removed) my doctors still believe it's possible i caught something in the islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom