Table Rock - Near the Dam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just made my first Dive at Table Rock near the Dam.. Viz was awesome at 100' ... My question is of those of you that have dove near the Dam:

1. What was your deepest dive.
2. What were the conditions like at that depth.
3. Did you see anything interesting?

Been to 60' with a 3/2 mil tropical full wetsuit. Got pretty cold at 60' in a trop. Vis was about 20-25 ft at 60, but it got dark at that point. Didn't see very much other than a rather large crawdad hiding amongst the rocks w/ his feelers and claws sticking out.

I thought some of the cooler stuff to see was around 30-40 feet along the south rock wall by the dam where there is a slight overhang. I think the overhang is about 1/2 way between the steps and the dam.

Take a good light next time you dive the dam. You'll find some strang goings on in crevaces.

1. 56 Ffw by the dam

2. Night Dive, Saw about 4 or 5 three foot catfish, a lot of large lobsters(Crawdads):wink:
and two bass.

3. Yes, I liked the night dive because of all the critters that come out at night.

But did your ears hurt while you were down? My dive buddy and me commented about the high pitch noise , almost like a motor btu hurt or ears. I think it was the turbines going on the dam. Those dam turbines :D

The sound of the turbines underwater was a bit of a suprise. I was told about the sound but did not think it would be that loud! Continued with the dive as normal.

>--Zen-Archer-->:
Just made my first Dive at Table Rock near the Dam.. Viz was awesome at 100' ... My question is of those of you that have dove near the Dam:

1. What was your deepest dive.
2. What were the conditions like at that depth.
3. Did you see anything interesting?

1 - I've been to 119 ffw at Dewey Short.
2 - Temp was around 47 F, vis might have been 20 feet at best.
3 - Rocks, tree's, ledges. The interesting stuff is usually in the shallow portions.

Honestly the only reason I dive below 100 feet is to get a certain number of those dives logged for an upcoming class I want to take which requires it. There's nothing compelling about that depth, it's darker and there's few living creatures. The 24 Watt Canister light I have makes it bright, but still it's only interesting to look at the terrain and imagine what it was like before it was flooded. I suppose looking at the fishing line is somewhat curious, I found an egg shell the other day at those depths in the area.

I hit 156 ft, but my two buddies hit 170 ft on a subsequent dive. We dove there last week and vis below 60 ft was around 30-40ft!!! It was cold however, mid 50's. Not much to see past 100ft, just mud and some small rocks. No fish to speak of. Bundle up, bring a light, and a big tank! Look for the Lake Diver License plate frame around 80 ft at the end of the rope hanging on a tree!!

Any Beta on the Lake Diver plate in the tree? It might be a good dive for a deep diver specialty once I've got my Instructor status.

I've been down to 170 ft., but it is just silty with poor viz down there. The best stuff is all at 130 or shallower. Especially like the tall trees between 80-120 ft. deep at the western edge of the "bowl". Also the wall between the stairs and the dam at all depths from surface down to about 110 ft.

All the best fish and crawfish are to be found in the warmer water above the thermocline!

The shallow area straight out and to the west of the wooden set of stairs closer to the Visitor's Center is also interesting--lots of rocks, crevices, and "rock tables".

theskull

Back
Top Bottom