Table Rock - Near the Dam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdown247:
Any Beta on the Lake Diver plate in the tree? It might be a good dive for a deep diver specialty once I've got my Instructor status.

What is "Beta"???

theskull:
I've been down to 170 ft., but it is just silty with poor viz down there. The best stuff is all at 130 or shallower. Especially like the tall trees between 80-120 ft. deep at the western edge of the "bowl". Also the wall between the stairs and the dam at all depths from surface down to about 110 ft.

All the best fish and crawfish are to be found in the warmer water above the thermocline!

The shallow area straight out and to the west of the wooden set of stairs closer to the Visitor's Center is also interesting--lots of rocks, crevices, and "rock tables".

theskull
I agree about the 130 and shallower, those were fun dives with you. It's really cool diving through the trees, it's like a forest covered with snow.

I really like it when the turbines crank up because of the thumping I can feel, but since I'm half deaf anyway, the pitch doesn't really get to me. :D

Crawfish hunting at night is a blast as is finding clams to feed the Bluegill.

We found out last weekend that the bluegill like dead crawfish even more than they like clams! It is harder to find a dead crawfish during the day, though.

theskull

Feeding the Bluegill while doing a long safety stop is the way to go, definitely keep from getting bored that way! I just fed them mussels, didn't try the dead crawfish. Only got them to take mussels from my hand once, the rest of the time I had to drop them or leave them on the rock I used to crush the shells.

Mike

The license frame is hung on a tree about 10 ft away from the end of the rope around 80 ft. There is a rope around 20 ft and just follow it down to the end. It is just saying that we've been there, as well as something to look at!

Chris

I don't feed them often, but I've removed my mask and blew my nose and fed them that way before, they love that stuff. The only issue is you've got to be fast to clear because they'll snap it up before you can say dinner...

Normally I'll just pick up a rock and tap another rock with it and they'll come swimming over to see what's going on. I've had them nip at the rock in my hand before, and I've had them nip my hood as well. Those bloody things think anything that doesn't eat them first is food for them...

Did you ever notice they like bright dive lights? They swarmed me when I had my light on.

Went out to Jake's Point on 8/9/2006 and used my scooter to take me over to the cabin cruiser. I love that scooter, I had 950 pounds left after all was done. The vis was 20 feet and I stayed at about 33 Ffw all the way over to the rope then followed it down to the cabin cruiser. I did find out that it is tricky to release your SMB while holding onto your scooter. I need to find a way to hook it to me so I can release it and use both hands. I know this is no where near Dewy Point.

I don't want to be a stickler on diver fun, but please educate yourselfs about freshwater mussels. I thought I read on the Army Corps info that just 1 can filter between 35 and 50 gallons of water a day.

Seems that if we're feeding them to the fish that we're only helping create less visibility for our own dives.

Besides, you get a better reaction with frozen peas!!

diverdown247:
Seems that if we're feeding them to the fish that we're only helping create less visibility for our own dives.

Besides, you get a better reaction with frozen peas!!

That was kind of my point by saying how I attracted the fish. They're going to swarm you no matter what you offer them, just make it flashy or noisy and they'll come swimming over.

Beaver lake has scuba shops that actively tell people not to break them apart and feed the fishes. It's a good point.

Floridawannabe:
rope then followed it down to the cabin cruiser. I did find out that it is tricky to release your SMB while holding onto your scooter. I need to find a way to hook it to me so I can release it and use both hands. I know this is no where near Dewy Point.

Without knowing your gear config it's hard to say if you can clip it off to a D ring or not. Divers with a BP/W have on their crotch strap a D ring just for attachment to the scooter, of course it's meant to take the load off your arms, i.e. when you're being pulled along your arms are not being pulled thereby letting you control things a bit easier.

However I'd bet you can rig it to temporarily clip it off no matter what type of BC you have and free yourself to launch the SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom