Bonaire current status

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Kharon

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be 78 next month and my stamina is failing. I would like to take one more trip to Bonaire, but ... I'm concerned about the condition of the reefs. My interest is to see mostly marine life - fish, eels, crabs, like that. But I wouldn't like to see a ton of dead coral.

So my questions are - 1. What is the status of marine life on the reefs; and 2. how bad is the coral situation; and 3. what are the current requirements re. equipment between dives?

Fish life is about the same as always.
Nothing lasts forever. Already in 2014 we saw clear signs of overfishing: large groupers and parrotfishes (Rainbow and Midnight) were gone for good, Barracudas and Green Morays became a rarity. We saw just 2 greens in 22 dives. Most likely, they fell victim to trap fishing.

I still had a great time this past May. Tons of sea life. Reefs for sure took a big hit, but agree with look for the good and ignore the dead. I seem to recall that the protocol between dives was still the same, but I felt less enforced. Actually I just looked on the Stinapa site and they say disinfect after each dive day! Since pretty much every site is red now it shouldn't matter much, but you should avoid going from an orange to a red. Go and have a great time!!!

Thanks. I'll check that. I'm sure my doc would sign off on diving if needed.
Another place to consider is Cocoview on Roatan. Reefs are still in good shape, life is good, and above all else, they make it very easy to dive and dive repeatedly. I belong to a dive club that has a number of members in their late 70s and 80s, and they remark on how easy Cocoview makes diving as they get older and less mobile.

Another place to consider is Cocoview on Roatan. Reefs are still in good shape, life is good, and above all else, they make it very easy to dive and dive repeatedly. I belong to a dive club that has a number of members in their late 70s and 80s, and they remark on how easy Cocoview makes diving as they get older and less mobile.
Went there for two weeks. IMO it is the most overrated, pure hype, overpriced place to go/stay. Plastic in the water everywhere, poor vis, the only fish in abundance were creole wrasse. What fish were seen were stunted & small. Don't believe me? Take a look:

I just returned from Bonaire 4 days ago. This was my first Caribbean dive in a loooooong time (30+ years). I am 60 and getting back into diving.

While it seems (based on my so so memory) the reefs overall are not as good as they were all those years ago, IT WAS AMAZING!!!

I had so much fun, it was so beautiful and the life on the reef was wonderful.

Here are a few spots we hit that I'd highly recommend. None are "bad", but these stood out for me.

So - GO!

- Salt Pier. I'd have done this multiple times if I could, and I'd add a night dive here too. So much life.
- We did 1 day boat diving and hit Southwest Corner and Karl's Hill. (we dove with Private Diving, they are amazing). Southwest Corner was ok, but Karl's Hill was outstanding.
- Anything South. They are all great spots.
- To the north - Karpata was wonderful, Oil Slick was just ok. We didn't see as much life there. But the entry is really fun!

I just returned from Bonaire 4 days ago. This was my first Caribbean dive in a loooooong time (30+ years). I am 60 and getting back into diving.

While it seems (based on my so so memory) the reefs overall are not as good as they were all those years ago, IT WAS AMAZING!!!

I had so much fun, it was so beautiful and the life on the reef was wonderful.

Here are a few spots we hit that I'd highly recommend. None are "bad", but these stood out for me.

So - GO!

- Salt Pier. I'd have done this multiple times if I could, and I'd add a night dive here too. So much life.
- We did 1 day boat diving and hit Southwest Corner and Karl's Hill. (we dove with Private Diving, they are amazing). Southwest Corner was ok, but Karl's Hill was outstanding.
- Anything South. They are all great spots.
- To the north - Karpata was wonderful, Oil Slick was just ok. We didn't see as much life there. But the entry is really fun!
Love the enthusiasm. Started diving in 1976 and had a period of no diving and retuned in force in 2009 with a trip to Bonaire when our kids wanted to get certified. Retuning in January for our 6th trip. The reefs change but the beauty and thrill is still there. You just need a reasonable expectation and open mind. I hope to be able to dive for years to come and finish at a place like Bonaire staying at a place with a house reef, gear down by the water with an easy entry.

Back
Top Bottom