Table Rock for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am heading to Table Rock the last weekend of Sept and I was wonder if anyone had some good dive sites for beginners. I have all the spots from Scuba Sports website, I was just wondering if there is anything else that you may know about. I will be close to the damn and I have a boat but I am not wanting to travvel real far on the boat, I would like to stay withing 10 or 15 miles so I do not spend all day trying to get to where I am going. I have GPS so if anyone has coordinates that would be helpful as well. Thanks....

Phil

Those sites are good enough to start with, they'll keep you busy for the weekend.

You can dive Dewey Short from the shore and have a good time, Same for Moonshine beach area. I like DS best, easy access and lots to see.

I hope to be there this weekend, but we'll have to see. My plane goes in for annual tomorrow and it's owner assisted which means I do most of the work. There's been some talk of it taking maybe up to Saturday to get it completed, depends on the corporate flying he does. He got called in so we won't have full days to work on it.

If I can I'm planning on Sat, Sun, and Monday at Dewey Short.

Thanks Matt, where is Dewey Short at??? Do there happen to be any docks over at Moonshine Beach? I will have a boat that weekend but the anchor is less than addiquit so I have never dove from it unless someone else is on boad while we are diving. I am directly across the lake from Moonshine beach and I would hate to load everything up in the car and drive around the lake to dive. On that Sun my dad will be down so he can stay with the boat so I was planning on checking out a few of the spots on the list from Scuba Sports.

If you do get to head down this weekend you will have to let me know what the conditions are like..

Phil

Dewey Short is the name of the visitor center on the south side of the dam. Arguably the best shore diving on the lake. I may be down there this weekend as well. Depends on vis and if it is bad, I may do the extra 45 minutes to travel to Beaver.

OK, thanks I may have to check it out, do either of you know if there is a boat dock there or do I have to drive there??? Thanks again for the help....

Phil

skdvr:
OK, thanks I may have to check it out, do either of you know if there is a boat dock there or do I have to drive there??? Thanks again for the help....

Phil

The Dam site is actually roped off from boat traffic, which is nice. You can even "write" your name on the dam.

I am assuming this is the site with the wooden and cement steps that a lot of people dive at.

"OK, thanks I may have to check it out, do either of you know if there is a boat dock there or do I have to drive there??? Thanks again for the help...."

You said you have a boat so why not just anchor? I don't think you can come inside the roped area with a boat so you would have to swim in. I think we may be there from the 17th to the 23rd and may dive a few times while there.

From Indian Point or the dam area there are numerous dive sites. The Jake's Island hasa shallow underwater saddle that connects the island to the shore. There appears to be a small public access area there and I always see divers there. Be careful to have a flag due to boat traffic and idiots on jet skis.

I think you mean boat ramp--not dock----I usually launch over at Indiam Point marina. You say that you don't want to go very far--between the dam, Zebulon Pike, Jakes Island cabin cruiser, Jakes Island saddle, Enchanted Forest, no more than a few miles apart.

When zebra muscles get in this lake viz will improve considerably, for now, I have not been especially impressed but then none of the big lakes have viz to write home about and they are cold. N

skdvr:

Phil
There is a small courtesy dock, read 8X20 platform where you may more your boat to visit the center, yet I think they only allow you to park there for about an hour. You could anchor near the roped off area near shore should be fairly shallow, less than 30', but just further out, deep water.

There is no boat ramp at Dewey Short, one can be found about 1.5 miles down the road at State Park Marina. As said by someone already, this area offers many diving opportunities. If you haven't done so, check out these sites:

Breezy Point: N 36* 33.208', W 93* 18.375'
Located 1 mile south of Table Rock Dam. A nice vertical drop-off with some shallow ledges and interesting rock overhangs. This is a popular spot for boaters and cliff jumpers, so, keep and eye out for lost stuff!

The Saddle: N 36* 33.208', West of 93* 18.375'
Adjacent to Breezy Point. This underwater ridge starts at Breezy Point and continues east across the main channel at depths approaching 90 ft. The ridge is narrow in spots with visible drop-offs on either side. Topographically unique and visually stunning.

Spoonbill Bluff: N 36* 34.800', W. 93* 18.885'
Named for the spoonbill or paddlefish which inhabit the site. This site is located north of Point 2 on the west side of the White River channel. See flat rock "tables" and find the nice shallow rock slope with trees for good fish watching cover. Fish are spotted around 45ft. Max depth is 100 ft.

Zebulon Pike: N 36* 37.859', W. 93* 20.146'
Just around the bend from the Table Rock Dam. Boat wreck dive. This 90 ft. long, double-decker excursion boat lies in 75-95 ft. of water. Find the guideline 15 ft. near shore and follow it down to the boat. A fun dive for more experienced divers. Take a light along with you.

The Enchanted Forest: S. end N. 36* 938', West of 93* 19.128' N. end N. 36* 37.248', W. 93* 19.238'
This site is a rock bluff about 1/2 mile north of the dam. Descend to 65-80 ft. and find yourself at the base of a grove of large moss-covered oak trees, some of which break the surface. The silhouettes of the trees against the ambient light above produces a beautiful visual effect. Lots of fish around 15 ft. along the ledge which extends from shoreline about 20 ft. A must-see dive site!

Jakes Point Island: N 36* 37.485', W. 93* 20.120'
Jakes Point Island is a multi level dive suitable for any level of diver. Max. dept is 130 feet. Their is a 30 ft. cabin cruiser stuck in 35 feet of water directly under GPS coordinates. This site is known for very large Bass.

Duck Island: N 37* 35.075', W. 93* 19.295'
Duck Island right next to the Showboat. This is a shallow dive with large rock formations and very large schools of fish. Great for all levels of divers. Max. depth recommended for 40 ft.

Well the only reason that I was loooking for some place to dock the boat is because the anchor is not the best for the boat. If there is someone left onboard while we are diving then it does not matter, but on this particular weekend that I am going there will be 4 of us and all 4 are divers. I just do not want to dive for 45 min and then come up to see my boat on the other side of the lake... I think that Sun. my dad will be down so he can take charge of the boat while we dive.

I do have GPS so if anyone has any other good dive sites to share and they have GPS coordinates that would be cool to.

Thanks again for all the help from everyone... It is greatly appreciated....

Phil

I dove this area over labor day. We started out at Moonshine Beach. This was good to get your weights adjusted and dove just pass the swimming area. The biggest problem was having to carry gear through the sand to the water. We then went to Dewey Short - lots of fishing from the bank. We went down to the Scuba Shop at State Park for information on another spot. When you pull into the Dewey Short area park up next to the visitors center. The "normal" diving area would be to your right toward the dam, but don't go there. To the left of the visitors center is a trail. Carry your gear down the trail about 150 yards and you will see some trails going toward the water. Go to this area. There are some nice shelfs under the water 12', 20', and 30 '. We liked this area alot better. Some boat traffic, but alot better dive.

S. Nagel

Back
Top Bottom