T.S.A. confiscating dive knives from check luggage???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
This came up on another thread, and I want to expose it to more general awareness...

I called U.S.Airlines this morning - 800-428-4322, Option 4 for International travel, then requested a Supervisor, to discuss this....

bridgenet once bubbled...
Just flew back through Charlotte on USAir from Belize. No problem with regs/computers in carry-on, they didn't even check the carry-on bags, just x-rayed. But TSA opened and inspected my checked suitcase that was full of dive gear only, wet suits, BCD's, fins... They tagged the bag and left paperwork inside to say they openned the checked bag and confiscated my dive knives. Both were just 3" blade blunt tip that we put on our BCD hose. According to TSA web site knives are allowed so have a feeling it is at the whim of the inspector (who don't all know the rules) so be careful. Now have to file a claim and good luck with proving that they were there.

I asked the U.S. Sup about this, and she totally supported my previous response...

dandydon once bubbled...
:fury: There's simply no excuse for that. Knives of any kind have never been prohibited from checked luggage, and they had no right to take those!

If they admitted to taking the knives, you should have support for your claim, and if you have the inspector's ID#, I hope you get him/her fired. That's just basic incompetence and/or theft! :grrr:

You do realize that you paid an extra $10 on your ticket for TSA!! The inspectors are often in plain sight of customers, and they always tell me I can leave for the gate; I always watch them until they turn the bag back over to the airline!

T.S.A's phone number is 866-289-9673, 8am to 5pm Eastern Weekdays. I hope Bridgenet follows up, insisting on the return of the knives, or replacement value. Give them Divers Direct's web site and point out that Oceanic Titatium knives are $100 plus shipping. Since the TSA idiot stole your knives, it's his responsibility to return them or prove they're worth less than that.

This simply flies in the face of the U.S. constitution. We, the people, create a government to manage society, but we empower said government with only certain authority. Any time a government official abuses authroity, action is needed.

thanks, don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom