Switching from AL80 to Steel 95HPs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
Here's the poop. When I got my basic OW, I bought out my LDS. Three AL80s, the best reg they had, and a BCD that I recently replaced (can you say "Ebay Sale"). I actually like my reg, but here's the issue. Everyone I dive with likes the HP steel. They actually dive with 120s, I've decided on the 95 or 100s, because I've had a lot of back problems.

So, now that I will be diving with DIN valves, I need to weigh my options. Do I convert my yoke reg, adapt it, or give it to my wife (who is getting her BOW this weekend, and has no equipment yet), and buy myself a new regulator. Since she is going to need a reg, and she'll never dive DIN valves, I am leaning towards the new reg option.

The new tanks will be EANx only. I will be diving in the 80-110 fsw regularly. I am looking for the best breathing reg with lowest maintenance (a closed system?). I will "bite the bullet" on price, as long as it's not more than $850.00.

Which reg would you buy for the DIN set-up? Thanks!!

Scott,

Here’s what I have done in a similar situation. I have HP120 tanks with DIN valves but originally purchased a TX100 with a yoke fitting. I purchased the DIN fitting for the regulator. This is not to be confused with an adaptor, the yoke fitting must be removed in order to install the DIN fitting and vise versa. I carry the unused fitting in my save a dive kit, along with the required tools, extra o-rings, and O2 compatible grease. The configuration change takes about five minutes. This allows me to use the same regulator, computer, and hoses with tanks having either DIN or yoke. So when I’m using my tanks I use the DIN fitting that I prefer, but I can still adapt to rental tanks with yoke valves when that’s all that’s available.

Mike

Like Mike said, You can use the DIN/yoke adapter (but it signifigantly increases the size of the first stage fittings) Or you can convert it semi-permanitly in about 5 min and vice versa.

I'd suggest looking into LP tanks. you can get the smaller one, overfill it (for the record, I didn't just say that...), and have as much gas as your buddies...

As for the new regs... well, new gear is always nice...

Look into the Atomic M1's. It is one of the absolute best breathing regs, very low maintaince, environmentaly sealed, etc... They cost much less than the Atomic T1's (Atomic's premier model) but the M1's are much more suitable for EANx.
The absolute only difference in the M1's and T1's is the metals used. M1 = Monel, T1 = Titanium
http://www.atomicaquatics.com/

Another Option, is the Faber LP 108. 2400psi, +10% = 2640. Current yoke regulator without adapter will work. Much easier to get a good fill, better for mixing Nitrox. I won't bring up overfills. Weight difference from standard AL 80 is about 8 lbs empty. The tank weighs less than some of the HP 95/100's, and the LP 104's.

Rated by Faber (manufacturer) at 10,000 cycles at 4000psi.

Just my 2 cents, not that it's really worth 2 cents.

rusty:)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rusty, when you dive with me on the 7th you'll see all these guys with their HP set-up. I think they like the DIN valves and extra air without the overfill. I'm going to do a little more research on the LP vs. HP debate. Seems like there was a thread on that here recently. The overfill guys see no reason at all for HP. Personally, it makes me a little uncomfortable to exceed the manufacturer's recommendation on anything.

That Atomic M1 looks awesome, and Nitrox ready, as well.

tampascott once bubbled...
The overfill guys see no reason at all for HP. Personally, it makes me a little uncomfortable to exceed the manufacturer's recommendation on anything.

Yea, I had some issues at first with my LP tanks as well in terms of overfills... fact is though, that they are the same tanks that are sold in parts of Europe as HP tanks...
I would never overfill an HP tank, 3500 max...
I would not overfill an Al tank, 3000 max (ok... maybe ~3300, to cool down to a bit less...)
LP tanks... i fill overfill mine every time.
it does take getting used to... (florida is different... they'll give you 4000 in an LP no problem... Yikes! :confused: )

Then you have to think about accualy getting the tank filled... if your dive buddies use HP tanks, maybe there is a shop around that can give you the right fill... But... alot of shops are used to filling Al 80's to 3000... they 1. might be uncomfortable/unwilling to fill over 3000 (which only speaks to their lack of knowledge, but I digress...) 2. might not have banks/a compressor that can fill over 3000... you might luckily end up with a hot 3400 fill (or less) which will cool to 3100 or so... then you get LESS gas than your tank's rating...

anyway, now you face the Pressed Steel vs. Faber question... personaly, I prefer the PST... I've never met a Faber owner who didn't mention the fact that they got a scratch on the painted tank and they are worried about rust... PST's are dipped... they won't rust under the paint coat ever...

That Atomic M1 looks awesome, and Nitrox ready, as well. [/B]
I don't own them, but I've tried them... they breathe even better than they look...

About that statement,

" Yea, I had some issues at first with my LP tanks as well in terms of overfills... fact is though, that they are the same tanks that are sold in parts of Europe as HP tanks... "

Whose facts? Now I've heard it from buddies and aquantances. None new for sure they were the same tanks. And I've never heard Faber or PST say this. And that's NEVER. Fact is HP tanks and LP tanks are made from a different alloy steel. That is Fact. It's hearsay that LP's are HP's in Europe, not fact. And if you look up on Fabers website the European tanks have different stock numbers. It could just mean a different tank stamp but Nobody actually knows for sure. Except Faber and they ain't saying. One of the heads of PST used to be on the boards and I wish he would chime in and actually let us know about the PST's.

After saying that, I've overfilled mine to 3500psi and below many times. I have the Faber/OMS 112's. And I like them. But I like my HP100's too. Depends on what type of diving you do. And how you want to be weighted.

"Here's the poop" has made it into my everyday vocabulary. That was a good one :wink:

:jester:

jetblast00 once bubbled...
I would never overfill an HP tank, 3500 max...
I would not overfill an Al tank, 3000 max (ok... maybe ~3300, to cool down to a bit less...)
LP tanks... i fill overfill mine every time.

Can I ask why it's OK to overfill an LP tank but not an HP or Al (even though you do overfill them)?

jonnythan once bubbled...

Can I ask why it's OK to overfill an LP tank but not an HP or Al (even though you do overfill them)?
Ever see an aluminum spring?
Same reason.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom