Switching between Enriched Air Nitrox and compressed air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8ful divr

Reaction score
I just noticed a warning label in the box for the Atomic Z1 that I just purchased that said I must decide before using the regulator if I will be using EAN or compressed air and that I cannot switch between the two. The Atomic B2 primary I purchased does not have this same warning. What is up with this?

sounds like old documentation. For the most part, as long as you use good air, you should be fine switching between the two as long 1) the regulator is always serviced with O2-compatible lubricants and 2) you don't use EAN with O2 percentages greater than 40%.

The concern that Atomic is expressing is that some air is not "clean", meaning it contains some impurities that could potentially catch fire...

That's a concern with blends over 40%. You should be okay to do that within the recreational blends.

Under 40% 02....just stay away from open flames and refrain from smoking underwater. You'll be fine. :D

KrisB:
sounds like old documentation. For the most part, as long as you use good air, you should be fine switching between the two as long 1) the regulator is always serviced with O2-compatible lubricants and 2) you don't use EAN with O2 percentages greater than 40%.

The concern that Atomic is expressing is that some air is not "clean", meaning it contains some impurities that could potentially catch fire...

Its not an "old" warning..

Any reg that has titanium parts should be used for dedicated service.. It has been show that titanium can burn at oxygen concentrations above 35%. At this point the risk is not high as long as no other fuels are present.

There is nothing wrong going between an enriched air mix and "air" as long as that "air" meets oxygen compatible standards..

Bottom line, if you want to use enriched air, dedicate the reg to oxygen compatible gases and stay away from fill stations that don;t meet this grade of breathing gas.. Why ould you want to breathe a gas as poor as grade "e" anyway.... If the shop cant pump good gas find another..

if You travel to a place that your forced to use a lower grade of gas, just get your reg cleaned and serviced when you get back..

I work for Atomic, the above is true regarding titianium and nixtrox don't mix well back and forth. But I'm confused, that warning lable is on the T2 not the Z series. The T2 has a titanium first stage so that is why you must dedicate it. The Z series (as in the B2) does not have a titianium first stage so you can go back and forth to 40%. Are you sure you got the right box w/ your Z1?

Back
Top Bottom