Switched to BP/W and Weight Belt = Lower Back Pain. Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Jakarta, Indonesia & Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all:

As my SP KnightHawk started wearing out and 99% of the diving I do anymore involves getting on an airplane, I recently switched to a small BP/W (aluminum plate and STA) and wearing a weight belt. I totally like the new rig, it packs so much smaller, and it is far more convenient considering the sorts of boats and ladders we have in Indonesia...except for one thing.

By the end of 2 or 3 dives my lower back/kidney area is really aching and sore. Once I get out of the weight belt and stretch for a few, the ache disappears. I am wearing 1 kilo on each hip which is plenty including the plate and STA. I have loosened, tightened, and shifted the weight belt to different areas, but nothing really helps.

This never happened to me with the SP integrated weights and I never have back issues elsewhere. I am in decent shape (run, lift, and cross fit) and always stretch before I dive. I almost feel like something isn't fitting me correctly???

Outside side of reminding me that I am getting to be an old fart :)D), does anyone have some suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Last edited:
I used to get tingling in my toes from my weightbelt sometimes after a long hike on a shore dive. Now that I use a tail weight instead, I don't have the issue.

You can install ditchable pouches on the webbing of a bp/w and the weight would then be supported by the whole bcd as you're accustomed to.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - 16LB QB Weight Pocket

They're a little pricey at about $100/pair new.
1565.jpg

Reactions: Zog
Have you tried attaching weight to the backplate itself? The downside is you have no "ditch-able" weight. Maybe mount a weight bag at bottom of the shoulder strap? I hear ya about lower back pain. ;-)

I would say that in some way, your rig is out of balance, and you are using too much arching of your back to correct it. To investigate this, I'd gear up in your current setup and get in the water with a buddy. Get into a relaxed horizontal position (without arching the back) and see where you tend to tilt. Then adjust the weight distribution to correct that, and I'll bet you'll stop arching your back.

TSAM- Great point to spend some time with it in the pool.

I don't want to move the weight off the weight belt and onto the harness or pockets. I would of stayed with the old BCD (Love the Knighthawk) if that had been the case. Logistically it just makes life so much easier here in Indonesia getting to, from, and into the boat to do away with the weight pockets.

Here's a thread that can offer some ideas:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/buoyancy-compensators-bcs-weight-systems/478358-weighting-options-bp-w-setup.html

Also check out this next thread, particularly post #7, which contains NetDoc's tip on attaching weights to the harness with bungee cords. My assumption is that if the weights are attached with bungee cords, you can always cut the bungee cords with a knife and ditch the lead (in addition to whatever removable ballast you may be carrying).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/si...how-you-attach-hard-lead-rig.html#post7055380

The other thing you may try is use a rubber freediving belt and move the weightbelt lower down so it rides almost on the peak of your butt. This is a freediver trick and it works.
I've experienced a lot of lower back pressure using heavy belts (very thick wetsuits) and this is the way I cure that problem.

I would say that in some way, your rig is out of balance, and you are using too much arching of your back to correct it. To investigate this, I'd gear up in your current setup and get in the water with a buddy. Get into a relaxed horizontal position (without arching the back) and see where you tend to tilt. Then adjust the weight distribution to correct that, and I'll bet you'll stop arching your back.

Excellent point. I remember a dive where I was trying out (testing) a drysuit I had just repaired. For some reason, and I still have no idea what it was, my lower back seemed to want to cramp up to compensate for something. Something was just off that day. Felt like my back was going to break during the dive. Very uncomfortable. When I surface and stretched out my lower back went into little spasms. I've never had lower back problems before.

Anyway, it hasn't happened since, as I've been diving my 'regular' setup. So lesson here is that it's not necessarily the BP/W (which is what I use) but can be other factors, just as TSandM has stated.

I don't need any weight until I get into my 7mm or drysuit. I found a regular weight belt uncomfortable, and switched to a belt with pockets and soft weights. That has proved to be much more comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom