Swirling Blades of Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
this happened to a friend of mine; let's call him NotH2Andy.

He was diving with two buddies; let's call them Buddy1 and Buddy2.

The trio decided that they would dive down the crevisse at
Devil's Ear (Ginnie Spring) to look at the entrace to the cavern.
Since they were not all cavern certified, they would not
enter the cavern, but simply look at the entrance.

On this particular day, the outflow from the Ear, which is
considerable most of the time, was downright wicked. in fact,
it was the fastest NotH2Andy had ever seen it. Once the dive
started, it was relatively easy to get down past the log and onto
the rocks at the bottom, from which point the three buddies
pulled and glided to the entrance, NotH2Andy leading.

NotH2Andy turned around, wedging himself into a little alcove
next to the entrance to prevent the current from buffeting him,
as he watched Buddy1 and Buddy2 expertly pull and glide to
the bottom. NotH2Andy then shone his light into the cavern
so his buddies could see inside.

Suddenly, to his horror, NotH2Andy saw a dive knife eerily
whirling with the current, like a maniacal instrument of death
and mayhem. The dive knife was heading straight for
Buddy1. The current was so fast, the the knife was NOT
falling to the bottom, but rather, was rising towards Buddy1.

Buddy1 saw the knife and images of bad kung fu movies
flashed into his mind. the DIR means of stopping whirling
blades of death not popping immediately to mind, Buddy2
simply grabbed it and pocketed.

Buddy2, quite unawares of the coming menace, simply saw
Buddy1 reach for a knife out of mid-water and thought
to himself, "Magic tricks under water?"

Upon conference at the surface, it did appear that the dive knife belonged to NotH2Andy. while no PADI Underwater Investigators were present, the following appears to be
the sequence of events:

1. NotH2Andy's knife is housed in a BC-mounted sheaf that
sits on the left BC pocket.

2. NotH2Andy's dive knife was accidenteally released when
he brushed against the rock.

3. The current then picked up the knife turning it into a vengeful instrument of death.

SOLUTION: When diving in confined areas or where entanglement or accidental contact with rock walls may
occur, do not use a BC dive knife mount that has a quick release mechanism. A line cutter or small knife worn at the waist, or perhaps EMT sheers in a pocket, would work best.

Great story! Tell NotH2Andy that he has learned a valuable lesson (grin). Thanks for sharing.

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy......don't you have two buddies you ALWAYS dive with?......Usually at the SPRINGS!!!!????!!!! I think you'e hiding something from us!!!!!!! LoL....GLad to hear it all worked out

Funny story, Now you why I say with good diving habits things can still go wrong but we try to avoid them by planning for the worse case, and hope you never end up in it.
I'm glad no one got hurt. Good lesson to learn.
"What goes where and why"
Fred

I am glad NotDeepSeaWolf and NotGibbon weren't harmed during this incident.

I had a similar encounter with swirling blades o' death yesterday. We hanging out in the Eye, when, hark, do my ears deceive me? Is that a propeller? Looked up to see a small "boat" with a trolling motor heading up the run. We finished our stops and headed up the run to get out at Little Devil's and holy propwash Batman, the thing was coming back at us! When we got to the surface a Ginnie employee was "kindly" telling the "gentlemen" in the "boat" that they can't have that in the run. Next time I'll bring my auger and add a shipwreck to the attractions.

Ben

OneBrightGator:

:54:

So do we look forward to more acts of daring do this coming weekend with the notSB BBQ??? I shall leave my knife at home as a safety measure to ensure no fish or human sushi and to prevent the blood from attracting sharks to the area!!

The wreck idea is a good one, that run needs a little more to entertain between the various spring sites.

Did notH2Andy retrieve the knife off of his unwitting pincushion buddy1/notDSW/notGibbon?

BigJetDriver69:
I speak Spanish, a little French, and a little Russian, but Latin is not part of my repertoire.
Out of the depths have I cried unto thee

Out of the book of Psalms..

OneBrightGator:

I had a similar encounter with swirling blades o' death yesterday. We hanging out in the Eye, when, hark, do my ears deceive me? Is that a propeller? Looked up to see a small "boat" with a trolling motor heading up the run. We finished our stops and headed up the run to get out at Little Devil's and holy propwash Batman, the thing was coming back at us! When we got to the surface a Ginnie employee was "kindly" telling the "gentlemen" in the "boat" that they can't have that in the run. Next time I'll bring my auger and add a shipwreck to the attractions.

Ben
Sounds like what happens at Venice. He was coming over to look at the pretty bubbles. Glad you were paying attention cause he sure wasn't.
Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom