Suunto Vyper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian:
There are two other issues that I just picked up on where the Suunto computers will penalize you fairly heavily.

One of them is surface intervals less than one hour and the other many repetitive dives. When I was in Provo, I ran into the repetitive dives issue (especially after our night dive in the middle of the week). I have run into it more than once on the short S.I.'s. Most of the dive boats that I have been on will not allow an SI less than an hour unless the next dive is in the neighborhood of 30 ft. (In the "not a dive, but extended safety stop" category.)

So, that seems like the problem. That's the reason why they had that much less time than us... multiple dives and SI's less than one hour. Thanks, that's good to know.

The Vytec seems to have a lightly different system that the other Suuntos. I think I'm the only one on a Vytec... most of my friends are either on Vypers or Stingers. My buddy and I both hit deco (hehehe...ya ya it was by accident) we were actually on our ascent already when the timers hit 0. I was only given a mandatory 3 min stop, her Stinger gave her a 5 min stop. Both our settings are the default... no additional conservative settings, and I didn't set mine for RGBM50.

Scubakevdm:
So, that seems like the problem. That's the reason why they had that much less time than us... multiple dives and SI's less than one hour. Thanks, that's good to know.
It's also good to know that multiple dives with short SI's do increase the chance of DCS. I don't see the problem with a conservative computer for recreational dives. What is it, first diver out of the water gets a dive boat refund? Like Lubold, I've never had any issues with my Vyper.

fins wake:
It's also good to know that multiple dives with short SI's do increase the chance of DCS. I don't see the problem with a conservative computer for recreational dives. What is it, first diver out of the water gets a dive boat refund? Like Lubold, I've never had any issues with my Vyper.

I'm not trying to knock Vypers or anything, I just thought it was odd that there was such a big difference between our computers after we dove very nearly the same profiles every dive. I dive an Uwatec Smart Com - not exactly known for being a liberal machine, and it was giving me more than twice the bottom time their Vypers gave them. It seemed odd, that's all. Apparently, under certain circumstances it happens. I work on a dive boat and its good to know stuff like this so I can accomodate divers who use these computers better.

diverbrian:
We were diving for three days. The Suunto's like it when you take a break from diving after a couple of days. On the third and fourth days, they really penalize you. I learned that in Provo, LOL.

If you're careful with the safety stops, it's not too bad. In Cozumel, my computer logged me as 15 repetitive dives over 5 days, with my 4th day starting with a dive to 125', then followed by a 65', a 44' and 43', with over 3 hours of bottom time over the 4 dives. Did not complain once and let me do a 94' dive the next morning no problem. I was making sure to take safety stops at 25' and an extra long stop at 15'.

Yep.

Make the stops on the way up, and make a very nice, slow ascent with plenty of time on the way up, and you won't run into trouble.

If you try to dive a "bend and treat" model with the Suuntos, you will get SEVERELY penalized on repetitive diving, and the longer you keep it up (over multiple days) the worse it gets.

(Probably a good thing too, because doing that really DOES put you at more risk!)

Genesis:
Yep.

Make the stops on the way up, and make a very nice, slow ascent with plenty of time on the way up, and you won't run into trouble.

If you try to dive a "bend and treat" model with the Suuntos, you will get SEVERELY penalized on repetitive diving, and the longer you keep it up (over multiple days) the worse it gets.

(Probably a good thing too, because doing that really DOES put you at more risk!)

Since I have been trying to slow my ascents, I don't get barked at too badly by the Suuntos that I use. My only gripe is that my it sees a fast ascent and barks at me sometimes if I move my wrist too fast. That is a little annoying!

Didn't Uwatec have that Smart Com scandal? I can't remember which computer of theirs would calculate desat assuming you were on EAN32 during SIT... this gave false readings on succeeding dives, and also gave very erroneous readings on no-fly times. I think it bent a few people already.

Three of us dive regularely together i have a spyder my GF a stinger and the other friend uses a solution, all Suunto. Usually we are diving pretty much the same profile, the Stinger is a jump ahead of the spyder for conservatism especially if +25m dives, so quite often our ascents are controlled by that computer, mine occasionally gets on the limit but the solution might as well not come on the dive its never anywhere near its limits.

Just wish you wouldnt get penalised for deep stops with the suuntos on a recent trip the stinger (as usual) went onto its limit then just over the edge, we were at 15m and working our way up the wall. It was showing a 3M stop and wouldnt stop adding on more deco time until we reached 4m

Scubakevdm:
Yeah, they were set up for the 36 mix, and they were good in the water... the guy is an instructor, we took good safety stops, it was weird. That's kinda why I posted this, you know, to find out what it could be. The only thing that I could think of was that however it calculates de-sat time is really conservative, so that even though there was a good bit of time in between the dives, it kept accumulating. I don't know. Has anybody ever had one of these on a live-aboard?

Actually we just finished two weeks in Yap and Palua -- nearly 40 dives. Typically dives were 50-60 mins avg depth 65-80fsw with surface intevals of 1.5 hrs between dives....did 5 dives on 32% and only once came close to NDLs....at 20 mins into a wreck dive at 80 fsw on the last day (after hitting our MOD). No problems....with getting 5 dives a day in several days in a row....although one of our group did have a tendency to go into a brief deco (but he does that 'regularly' even on non-liveaboards).

Back
Top Bottom