Suunto Vyper - Questions about it and alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have higher expectations of people than you do, of course, I'm frequently disappointed

Case in point:

So that I understand, you're advocating new(er) divers to do fast ascents, short safety stops, and short surface intervals (I added that one because it is a known cause of Suunto reduced NDLs) ?

-- at this stage I don't even expect basic reading comprehension skills.

Hi,

i am thinking about buying a dive computer. I read a lot about computers in the last weeks and the hottest candidate for me right now is the Vyper Air which i have seen at 390€ (including transmitter) here: http://www.simplyscuba.com/packages/Suunto/VyperAirwithfreeTransmitter.aspx

I have also looked into some other Suunto watches, but i like that the Vyper is a bit bigger. I don't really need a watch for everyday, i just want it to be a simple dive computer.

I am actually pretty sealed on it, but still would be interested in your opinion about:
a) The Vyper Air in general
b) Possible alternatives (wrist-mounted with air integration, not too expensive)

Another question: Can i just buy the USB-Cable to connect it to my PC or do i need some special version that comes with PC-Interface of it?
The Vyper Air comes with transmitter and USB cable. Pretty good price to pay.
From the same supplier:
Zoop: GBP 138.00(free compass)
Vyper: GBP 199.00
Oceanic Veo 2: GBP 165.00
Oceanic Veo 1: GBP 128.00

I don't dive with one computer so I would go for either: Zoop + Veo 2 or Vyper + Veo 1.

Veo 1 would a good back up for Vyper Air.

Thanks for your help guys.

I just ordered the Vyper Air now, only time will tell if it was a good choice, but i think so :)

I will not use a backup computer. Just a small SPG on the first dives, until i am confident that the air integration works flawless

I just ordered the Vyper Air now, only time will tell if it was a good choice, but i think so :)

I will not use a backup computer. Just a small SPG on the first dives, until i am confident that the air integration works flawless

Enjoy your diving :)

When I started diving, tables where still very much in use. this meant either the US Navy Tables, the RN Tables or the PADI tables Buhlmann tables etc.

Computers where becoming more readily available, and more reliable. The algorithms where far more aggressive then than they are now. Progressively manufactures have add additional 'safety', compensation for water temperature, profile, repeat diving etc.
The likelihood of buying a computer from the mainstream suppliers that has a bad algorithm is very low. The question is the 'flavour' you have to your taste. Decompression theory is still not very well understood, various approaches become 'flavour of the month' and then are discredited.
I can remember the Monitor II being the preferred computer for deep divers in the UK, "because it got you out of the water quicker" than the newer models coming into the market. There was a roaring trade in secondhand units for quite sometime.

The first computer that removed the padding was probably the VR3. You had to set the safety factor (it added additional perceived Nitrogen Loading (I cant remember the numbers but it was based on pro planner, say 1% Nitrogen for every 10% safety factor - don't quote me on that)). if you dived it without adding in some safety factor, you where likely to get a bend eventually.

In short, most modern dive computers are very safe, with additional padding to compensate for bad dive practice. The only computers that really buck this trend are those for the technical market, which assume you understand what you are doing, and the related risks. In some you can even download your own decompression algorithm!

What normally happens with new divers is they either buy what the instructor is using, buy what their circle of divers are using (in a club), or buy what's on special offer.
In my opinion it is often best to use what your circle of divers is using, much easier for dive planning and conduct. Help when learning about the functions and functionality.
If it ever becomes a significant issue, the new diver has gone hard core, is better educated and is upgrading their kit anyway. A Shearwater Petrel or OSTC2 is not really suited for 90% of the newly qualified divers coming into the market.

Gareth

PS - The Suunto should be fine, for my recreational diving I still dive on a Vyper, I used to use both a Vyper and Vytec - until I flooded the Vytec :(.

Last edited:

I never had a spg failure under water but had computer failed twice before. So I dive with two.

keep your spg with you at all time..................:)

I used a Vyper for years, simple, robust and reliable. People go on about their conservative nature but personally I've personally never noticed. On liveaboards doing multiple dives over multiple days you might notice and it might be more noticeable if diving solo, but seeing as the most conservative computer calls the dive assuming air isn't a factor, as sunnto are a very popular computer you'll likely not be the only diver using one. I'm advancing in years and don't think some conservatism is such a bad thing. Having said that I now dive a Petrel but I do have it set to the conservative side.

...... I just ordered the Vyper Air now, only time will tell if it was a good choice, but i think so :)
Make sure you learn how to properly use your new dive computer.
For your info we have an online class for the Vyper Air and it is also available in our simulators.
Also, you might want to consider to use a smartphone to log your dives. There are several apps that allows you to direct download logs from the Vyper Air.

Just bought one for myself (85 dives) and my daughter in law, 30 dives. Would appreciate a push torward apps that work well with it and the online class? Been a while since I tooled around the Board!

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom