Suunto Vyper - Questions about it and alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What should they know specifically?
There are significant differences in how decompression algorithms are constructed and that results in significant differences in NDLs for both single and repetitive dives. There is no evidence that any of the commercially available decompression algorithms are "safer" than others when used appropriately.

Excelent non-answer, have you considered running for office? :D

Excelent non-answer, have you considered running for office? :D

So that you can understand, you can stay underwater relatively longer or relatively shorter with equal safety, it's your choice

There are significant differences in how decompression algorithms are constructed and that results in significant differences in NDLs for both single and repetitive dives. There is no evidence that any of the commercially available decompression algorithms are "safer" than others when used appropriately.

Can you please say that slowly....

Being more conservative in the NDL's isn't safer than not?

So that you can understand, you can stay underwater relatively longer or relatively shorter with equal safety, it's your choice

No, the computer says you're OK to stay underwater relatively shorter or relatively longer without developing clinical DCS symptoms. Whether you actually can depends on lots of other factors. As well as whether you actually develop DCS symptoms -- let's be a*al about it, we're talking about vanishingly small but not absolute zero risk here.

I'm not sure we disagree about anything, people get DCS using any decompression algorithm, whether using it aggressively or conservatively

Can you please say that slowly....

Being more conservative in the NDL's isn't safer than not?

It makes intuitive sense that a shorter underwater exposure is "safer" than a longer exposure. However, if the longer exposure is already extremely safe, you will not be able to show that the shorter exposure is safer. Common sense can only get you so far

I'm not sure we disagree about anything, people get DCS using any decompression algorithm, whether using it aggressively or conservatively

I currently believe that a new diver first-time dive computer buyer trying to research their options is already getting an overwhelming amount TMI TL;DR. Advising them to read up on mostly undocumented "black box" algorithms is just adding more confusion, especially since -- as always with the Intertubes, much of what they're going to find is provably incorrect FUD. That's opposite of helpful.

Straight answer is not that hard: DSAT, read Oceanic, is known to give consistently longer NDLs than "everybody else". Various "RGBM" flavours, that's 75% of low-end DCs, are known to penalize for fast ascents and short safety stops. Nobody can tell you how either of those will affect you until you spend some time diving them. That's all there is to know this side of "Deco for Divers". Why not just say that?

Other than that I don't think we disagree about anything, no.

I currently believe that a new diver first-time dive computer buyer trying to research their options is already getting an overwhelming amount TMI TL;DR. Advising them to read up on mostly undocumented "black box" algorithms is just adding more confusion, especially since -- as always with the Intertubes, much of what they're going to find is provably incorrect FUD. That's opposite of helpful.

Straight answer is not that hard: DSAT, read Oceanic, is known to give consistently longer NDLs than "everybody else". Various "RGBM" flavours, that's 75% of low-end DCs, are known to penalize for fast ascents and short safety stops. Nobody can tell you how either of those will affect you until you spend some time diving them. That's all there is to know this side of "Deco for Divers". Why not just say that?

I have higher expectations of people than you do, of course, I'm frequently disappointed

So that I understand, you're advocating new(er) divers to do fast ascents, short safety stops, and short surface intervals (I added that one because it is a known cause of Suunto reduced NDLs) ?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom